Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Catalyst Staff  (Read 6699 times)
darth_sen
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

I sense much anger in you...

« on: April 15, 2011, 12:41:30 AM »

Here is a re-post from the old UltraSabers forum:

This staff is very light, despite being double length. I ordered 2 Catalysts from Ultrasabers and then a double-female connector from The Custom Saber Shop (since the Catalyst is a TCSS design with Ultrasabers electronics inside) to create a Sith saber staff.  It's so gosh darn long - over 8 feet with the blades, and down past my knees when hanging off the hip!  I need 2 saber stands to hold it and to keep the blades from bowing!  Due to the simplicity of the hardware, I can always detach the 2 hilts and re-attach the pommels and have 2 twin sabers at any time.

The grips are #17 O-Rings in the machined grooves, and every other set of gaps between are filled with #18 O-Rings.  It gives a great grip and a unique design quality.

The Covertec belt clips are from The Custom Saber Shop.  My neighbor is a mechanic with access to drilling and tapping machinery and helped me mount the clips.  And since both sides are symmetrical, if I do separate them, I can have a twin saber on each hip.  Unlike my other sabers posted, these clips have no other functionality than holding the saber on my belt - they don't hold the blades in.  The Ultrasabers mounting screws do that, and boy, don't those emitters look sweet?!.

The Schwartz is strong with this one!

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:19:15 AM »

I just have to chime in and say this is the sweetest looking staff I've ever seen. I'm not normally one for O-Rings (I'm strange lol), but they fit perfectly here. I'm guessing the length would make this thing a beast in a duel, and while that emitter was sweet enough on a single bladed saber.... putting it on a staff is just unbelievable. I also think this holds the sith look very well (hard to do on a silver colored hilt), while still being something that would not look out of place for a Jedi if the blade was another color. All else I can say is this: Wookie Jedi would ROCK THAT!  Grin

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

darth_sen
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:30:40 AM »

Thanks, Manroon.  I'm actually debating whether or not to add a brass shroud around the grips and emitters, similar to what I've seen Amptrooper do with his Boba Fett tribute saber.  See that here:

http://www.imperialroyalarms.com/

Instead of the Mandalorian symbols I would leave large gaps to see the O-ring grips.  I'm looking for opinion... Should I add the shrouds or leave well enough alone?

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 01:47:05 AM »

I've always loved the look of the catalyst, and can't wait until I've got enough money to buy one.

Now, thanks to you, I'll have to wait even longer because I want to make a staff!  And I agree with Manroon, it holds the dark side feel very well despite it's silver color.  Although, mine would probably be in VA instead of BR.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:14:12 AM »

I'm waiting for yellow to become a standard color to buy a Catalyst. Though I have to agree this does look sick with the red, especially with your mods. Nice job!

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:16:57 AM »

That could be a good mod, though it looks sick either way. I gotta concur with my wingman too. Yellow would own this beast!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:21:43 AM »

You're correct, Wingmate, it is in fact a beast.

darth_sen, how long is this thing exactly?

(Sig by me!)

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09:21 AM »

pretty amazing how ginormous that thing is. Must be heavy hanging of one hip. As for the customizations i think you should keep it like this. The sabers with the o-rings are different but it does catch a very sinister feel to it. I think paint will ruin that. Just my opinion though.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

darth_sen
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »

Darth Raze:

It's 23" long without blades.  8 feet with.  And honestly, it's not really that heavy.  It is awkward when I try to sit with it on, though, since the covertec attachments are more toward the middle of each half (opposite the switch and just higher), the emitter hits my ribs if I'm not careful to adjust it before sitting down or bending over.

sjorsjo91:

Don't worry, I wouldn't paint it.  I'm thinking of mounting a brass shroud around it similar to what Amptrooper has done at his site, imperialroyalarms.com, to a similar Catalyst-style staff he's done called the Boba Fett tribute saber, only I wouldn't want to do his designs, but leave open gaps exposing the O-rings and retaining their grip.  Check it out and let me know if you think I should add something like that to mine.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 03:28:54 AM »

Wheeew! That's one big boy. Thank you darth_sen.

(Sig by me!)

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »

That is an awesome staff.  I feel like the catalyst doesn't get bought very often, but after the Prophecy it is my favorite saber.  So sleek and efficient looking with just a little badass in that emitter.  I've thought many times about getting one and machining some SMALL claws to either put on the tabs that stick out, or to go over the gaps and reach just further onto the blade than the rest of the emitter.

Never thought about a staff though.  Epic.  Cool

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

tiefling36
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »

Now THAT is one beastly staff.  I can't imagine spinning it.  Heh, looks like you'd put a hole in a wall if you even thought about spinning it indoors just once.  Very nice, and very menacing to look at.  Enjoy your saber! 

Copper Enforcer--Consular Green
Custom Liberator--Consular Green
Custom Phantom--Guardian blue
Plans: Bane RGB

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »

Wew i was afraid you where going to smudge paint on that amazing staff. I never imagined it as such but it must be a beast to hold and wield.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Darth Dexuis
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -23

I Am The Bloody Right Hand Of My Master.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »

Wow! That is amazing! I love the grips  Smiley

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:39:48 AM »

One Word:  NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: