Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi-Sith Musician Alliance  (Read 16530 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 12:51:21 AM »

This is one of those areas I am lacking in...I played trombone and french horn in school but let it go to pursue sports and martial arts....my daughter caught the bug though, she got to college on a music scholarship before shifting to biology...she sat first chair in all the strings and woodwinds.

I did apprentice with an uncle as a Luthier...this may be where I end up in the next couple years...the blending of the hardwoods is intriguing.

So when you all get ready to make a Star Wars instrument or maybe a Vulcan lute I will be standing by  Cheesy

Light side points please Smiley

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 01:09:01 AM »

Thankfully, it looks like digital amps are getting cheaper and cheaper just to have something to jam on. But I know what you mean about sounding good. My friend always gets mad at me for breaking theory rules, because I don't pay attention to them and I don't know them. But I have an ear and like to play what I like to hear.  Tongue

I don't enjoy studying theory, I don't think anyone does, but I know the basics and can read music well enough to learn the songs properly (for the most part lol) and I enjoy being able to do that. I also enjoy throwing a rule or two out once in awhile and throwing personal flair on a song. This is probably because I watched Back to the Future Part I too many times. That's the same reason I got into guitar. Johnny B. Goode. Still can't play it either! lmao

@Rel, that's awesome.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 01:34:20 AM »

I have a book of Star Wars music that I need to tear into a bit... perhaps that will help me get my chops back, not to mention that I could serenade the lady with the Princess Leia theme. The trombone is a truly underrated solo instrument, after all...

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 02:08:17 AM »

Manroon, bad news. I love Music Theory. Also, I'll teach you Johnny B. Good.

Jammo, you are a Rusty Trombone player? Don't do a google search . . .

So like has been said I'm actually a music teacher. Primarily a trumpet player I also play guitar, bass, piano, sing and can play any band instrument.

I listen to all forms of music. Not a big fan of country. Opera is ok in small doses. Rap I have to be in the mood for. Everything else is fair game.

Been working on piano music from FF7 Advent Children lately. Completed Aerith's theme. Moving on to the piano version of the boss battle music.

Anybody has any questions let me know. I've got 2 degrees in this stuff. The only things I've been doing longer than music (16 years) is martial arts (20 years) and breathing.

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 02:40:26 AM »

Hmm...Okay, how about this.

What is one of the most beautiful pieces of music you've ever heard?

One for me is Glosoli by Sigur Ros.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8iEJeh26E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8iEJeh26E</a>

Slow build, MASSIVE climax. What more do you need? lol.

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

wolfmetal45
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:06 AM »

I'm self-taught on guitar, have dabbled with the bass and am always striving to improve my singing.  I've been out of practice for quite a few months now between my senior year being busy and my current job but I'm hoping to pick up the guitar again in college.

Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 02:53:27 AM »

I'm self-taught on guitar, have dabbled with the bass and am always striving to improve my singing.  I've been out of practice for quite a few months now between my senior year being busy and my current job but I'm hoping to pick up the guitar again in college.

Do it man. I stopped playing for about 2 years, then had to self teahc myself EVERYTHING over again. it sucked. so bad. but it seriously helps having other people to play with.

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:49 AM »

So like has been said I'm actually a music teacher. Primarily a trumpet player I also play guitar, bass, piano, sing and can play any band instrument.

I listen to all forms of music. Not a big fan of country. Opera is ok in small doses. Rap I have to be in the mood for. Everything else is fair game.

Been working on piano music from FF7 Advent Children lately. Completed Aerith's theme. Moving on to the piano version of the boss battle music.

Anybody has any questions let me know. I've got 2 degrees in this stuff. The only things I've been doing longer than music (16 years) is martial arts (20 years) and breathing.

4 years in the Marines... Jammo don't need to search that term.

Zephon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 118

Zephon Nosta - Jedi Sentinel

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:35 AM »

I play/played the Tenor Saxophone.

Originally wanted to play clarinet, but my dad talked me out of it when I was a kid. Was in the middle school band all three years, joined the middle school's jazz band during my 7th grade (2nd year of middle school). Went to a freshly built high school and joined the band, doing both concert, marching, and jazz for two years. Took a break, then joined back in college for one year of Jazz.

Now in the military and my saxophone is back in my hometown. Haven't touched it in awhile and actually wondering if I'm still able to play. Maybe I'll find out when/if I go home on Leave.

The Force Is The Blade Of The Heart.
            All Are Intertwined;
       The Crystal,
   The Blade,
The Jedi.
              You Are One.

Light Side Points Appreciated

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 05:12:38 AM »

lol Everyone's got something strange I guess. Me? I like to play melody. Yep. I suck at chords and don't mind in the least. Funny thing, I actually have sheet music for Johnny too... I just never could seem to get it down right when I tried to learn it. I definitely welcome the offer to learn it though! I'll have to bust out my hollow body and get some practice in again in preparation I guess. Smiley

Trumpet? Sweet. My GF is dieing to get back to it herself. She's taking a very long break from it while trying to get over a nasty case of TMJ. Not being able to play is starting to drive the poor girl nuts again... Undecided One of my favorite things is an old CD she made me of her playing a few random geek songs a couple years ago. Star Wars, Zelda, Pirates, and some other stuff. I think my favorite tracks were the Binary Sunset/May the Force Be With You and Davy Jones Locket Theme. They sound really cool on the horn. Cool

@Jammo: Hmm... this may make you the forum Riker now. lol Hey, that reminds me! I also enjoy whistling. I do that alot. It's fun. Drives my friend nuts cause he can't do it. lol How did my mind connect star trek and whistling? Riker and Data first met when Data was trying to whistle Pop Goes the Weasel. We now return you to your regularly scheduled music thread. Smiley

I am not a color...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:10 AM »

I mainly play bass(horribly). I also play a little guitar(even more horribly). I like bass better, cause I hate contorting my hand in all those ridiculous shapes to make chords on a guitar. Plus bass sounds a lot cooler, IMO. I should really play my bass more so I can play less horribly, but I haven't been finding the time lately. I haven't touched my guitar in months, except the other day when I had to move it...

I want to learn drums in the worst way, but the people I live with have vetoed me getting a set numerous times.

I mostly like hard rock, metal, and punk, but I have songs and artists from other genres I like too. Except country. That is a scourge upon this earth, and I only listen to it at work cause I'm forced to. Mostly I listen to:

Stone Sour(my ABSOLUTE favorite band, I've been know to hurt people for saying they suck), Three Days Grace, Seether, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Halestorm, Rise Against, Anti-Flag, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, a bunch of classic punk and hardcore bands, Red Hot Chili Peppers. The list goes on, but those are my main ones. Oh, and Led Zeppelin.

I hope to play in a band someday, but I have to find time to get better at playing first....

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 05:39:51 AM »

Country: My grandaddy didn't say hello, he said howdy. I like a little country with my gee-tar. Cool (but only if it's good. Some people... some people just shouldn't have albums... *shakes head in shame*)

I am not a color...

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »

lol Everyone's got something strange I guess. Me? I like to play melody. Yep. I suck at chords and don't mind in the least. Funny thing, I actually have sheet music for Johnny too... I just never could seem to get it down right when I tried to learn it. I definitely welcome the offer to learn it though! I'll have to bust out my hollow body and get some practice in again in preparation I guess. Smiley

Trumpet? Sweet. My GF is dieing to get back to it herself. She's taking a very long break from it while trying to get over a nasty case of TMJ. Not being able to play is starting to drive the poor girl nuts again... Undecided One of my favorite things is an old CD she made me of her playing a few random geek songs a couple years ago. Star Wars, Zelda, Pirates, and some other stuff. I think my favorite tracks were the Binary Sunset/May the Force Be With You and Davy Jones Locket Theme. They sound really cool on the horn. Cool

@Jammo: Hmm... this may make you the forum Riker now. lol Hey, that reminds me! I also enjoy whistling. I do that alot. It's fun. Drives my friend nuts cause he can't do it. lol How did my mind connect star trek and whistling? Riker and Data first met when Data was trying to whistle Pop Goes the Weasel. We now return you to your regularly scheduled music thread. Smiley

I have the right beard and everything, but Dreaming will disown me if I dress up like Riker.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »

Why? What's wrong with Riker? I mean, aside from all his girl chasing... XD

I am not a color...

Jammo
Knight Commander