Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi-Sith Musician Alliance  (Read 16537 times)
Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »

So I hears that there are a bunch of musicians here on the Saberforum. So if figure that it's time for us force adept Musicians to have a thread where we can just hang out and shoot the bull. Gear, Genres, Instruments, Influences, Goals, Dreams, Jam vids, Favorite songs, Audio samples(hosted elsewhere), what have you, I think we can make this place it.

So, I guess I'll start. I've been a musician for a little over a decade now. Been playing Guitar the longest, 12 years. Then I joined my highschool marching and concert band where I learned how to play thee French Horn, Mellophone, Coronet, Trumpet, Bass Guitar, Piano, Saxophone, Drums, and joined a barbershop Quartet. Since then, I"ve begun trying to get more on the folky side and learned Harmonica and most recently started learning the Banjo.

Musically, I find myslef going for a very mixed style. In one of my bands at school, We are going for a more experimental sound, Writing in mixed and odd meters, and using jazz structures. It's a blast to be able to let out all that the creativity that I want to experiment with. Haha. I Find I need to balance out the amount of effects and techniques I use in that band by having my folk band on the side, keeping it simple and fun. plus, It's fun to be on campus and find all the "bros" who "play" guitar outdoors (for girls only, not for music) by joining them with a banjo then running off while playing Cripple creek when they get mad. haha.

How about you guys? what do you like to play? Favorite Artists? etc? haha

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »

Master Artorius is actually a music teacher, you need to get him in on this.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »

Feel free to spread the word, my all means. haha. I'll send him a PM to see about joining the Alliance.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:25:47 PM by Rassilon » Logged

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »

I sing! Smiley

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »

WOOO. what kind of singing? because the voice is one of the most versatile instruments (after all, it's what instruments were trying to mimic since the beginning) Singing can refer to anything. Operatic, rock, hardocre, Gospel, choir, barbershop, crooning...Yodeling? haha

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »

Well, I don't sing professionally, so I don't really do genres, but I was in choir at school.

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »

Nothing wrong with that. I was, too. What are some of your favorite pieces?

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »

I play bass, and guitar; off and on.

Self taught, I can't read music but I love tabs.  Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

I played trombone in jr high and high school. I'm rusty, but if I put in some time I could get it back.

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »

Ugh, tabs are so much easier. haha. I can sight-read music fairly well, and I hate guitar sheet music. Bass charts too. Lucky for me, I only played Bass in Jazz meaning I could get away with just walking a line in whatever key and it was Okay, because, hey...it's Jazz. haha. 3 years in a Jazz ensemble and I didn't once look at the sheet music I was handed.  Cheesy

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »

I'm a very casual and lazy guy when it comes to music. Or anything for that matter. I have and know enough to play around with 2 Guitars and an Ocarina. The Oc is my fav at present, but I love the guitar for it's versatility and attitude. Simply put, I can't play Deuce Coupe on an Oc. lol Jazz is righteous fun to play, but I love just about anything that strikes me as sounding good. I don't currently have an Amp, and haven't touched the Guitars in ages anyway, but my gear is as follows.

1) An ancient Kay Acoustic, from like the 70s I think. It's my hippie guitar and I love it, but it needs repair. The neck is separating... Cry
2) A Japanese made electric, also from the 70s. Specifically, it's a Teisco No 8 Hollowbody.
3) A 6 hole ceramic Zelda I bought from songbird at anime expo last year. Great instrument, but the range is a little limited I think. I wanna grab a 12 hole eventually.

I prefer sheet music, but at present I can only do tabs on the Oc. Tongue

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »

Thankfully, it looks like digital amps are getting cheaper and cheaper just to have something to jam on. But I know what you mean about sounding good. My friend always gets mad at me for breaking theory rules, because I don't pay attention to them and I don't know them. But I have an ear and like to play what I like to hear.  Tongue

Sandtracker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 11:42:35 PM »

I played the piano until middle school. In middle school, the started playing the clarinet and currently play the clarinet for my high school's wind ensumble and marching band.

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:48:41 PM »

I mean the best when I say this, but I have only ever liked the sound of the clarinet in Klezmer, Noir-style Jazz, and in a super experimental rock band. Why did you go for Clarinet?  Lips sealed

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »

Master Artorius is actually a music teacher, you need to get him in on this.

Indeed, I'm surprised he hasn't posted here yet.  If there's one thing he loves more than Star Wars, it's music.

I'll give him a heads up Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: