Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi-Sith Musician Alliance  (Read 16312 times)
TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 04:06:46 AM »

Bury Anything in enough reverb and it sounds pretty. XD but we can totally work with it. obviously, the better then interface, the better the quality, but that's not really what this is about.

Also, I'm thinking like...The Main Title Theme of Star Wars. Classic, recognizable, and if our multi-instrumentalists out there do more than one instrument, it will sound fuller. Although, Duel of the Fates would be very helpful to get our vocalists involved here as well. Just a thought. We'd need like...75 minimum of them for it to sound good though. haha. 

That is a very good point lol. I know Threadjack can play the bass lines. If he wants to of course. I'll try recording again. I've been messing with the reverb and other EQ settings to get it through my mic as best as possible. I run things through audacity which also has EQ settings.

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »

Well let's see about figuring out interest/instrumentation first. Then I will arrange it for the parts we have and we can go from there.  Smiley

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 04:12:46 AM »

Sounds good to me Smiley

Oh... And I know this sounds super lame and nooby, but since I'm completely self-taught, I don't know how to: 1. read music. 2. how to properly play to a metronome. I've been playing for 5 years though and I do know how to play well... just not in the traditional sense. If anyone could help me with that, it would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:16:14 AM by MakashiDeviant » Logged

wolfmetal45
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 04:16:04 AM »

Well I mentioned earlier that I'm interested in grabbing a nice acoustic for college.  has anyone heard good things about Dean's acoustics?  I know they're mostly known for electrics thanks to Dimebag Darrel, but I tried out this Dean acoustic made from an exotic wood named Paduck that I loved the tone of.

Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 04:56:09 AM »

Sounds good to me Smiley

Oh... And I know this sounds super lame and nooby, but since I'm completely self-taught, I don't know how to: 1. read music. 2. how to properly play to a metronome. I've been playing for 5 years though and I do know how to play well... just not in the traditional sense. If anyone could help me with that, it would be most appreciated.

Don't sweat it. I'd be willing to help, in any of several ways, either by mapping out the fretboard and staff to show you the notes, or giving the notes. I'm sure someone here can arrange a tab as well. and if all else fails, well...hey, a free theory lesson may be in your future.  Grin We shall see once we have music!

Well I mentioned earlier that I'm interested in grabbing a nice acoustic for college.  has anyone heard good things about Dean's acoustics?  I know they're mostly known for electrics thanks to Dimebag Darrel, but I tried out this Dean acoustic made from an exotic wood named Paduck that I loved the tone of.

If you like the sound, who cares what other people think. lol. Music is such a subjective thing. As Far as build quality, I know that they do good work on electrics (i have one), but i'd check out harmony central for some reviews on acoustic build quality. I, myself, LOVE the sound I get out of my Takamine Acoustic-Electric. Buhhuhuhuh, is that a pretty sounding thing. haha. Mind if I ask what your budget is for an acoustic?

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 05:03:39 AM »

Don't sweat it. I'd be willing to help, in any of several ways, either by mapping out the fretboard and staff to show you the notes, or giving the notes. I'm sure someone here can arrange a tab as well. and if all else fails, well...hey, a free theory lesson may be in your future.  Grin We shall see once we have music!

If you like the sound, who cares what other people think. lol. Music is such a subjective thing. As Far as build quality, I know that they do good work on electrics (i have one), but i'd check out harmony central for some reviews on acoustic build quality. I, myself, LOVE the sound I get out of my Takamine Acoustic-Electric. Buhhuhuhuh, is that a pretty sounding thing. haha. Mind if I ask what your budget is for an acoustic?

That would be awesome Smiley Thanks. I'm going to be taking a classical guitar course in college soon. I'll need to buy a classical guitar of course, but I have one picked out. I just don't know if they'll expect me to actually know the basics before I take lessons. That is what makes me nervous.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 05:04:26 AM »

I call solo on the throne room!

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:49 AM »

I call solo on the throne room!

Can't tell if talking about the song, or just really wants to record in the bathroom...

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 05:12:17 AM »

That would be awesome Smiley Thanks. I'm going to be taking a classical guitar course in college soon. I'll need to buy a classical guitar of course, but I have one picked out. I just don't know if they'll expect me to actually know the basics before I take lessons. That is what makes me nervous.

I feel like finding a beginner theory course for free online would be pretty easy. it isn't too complicated. Okay, it's a little complicated. But drilling at it for a little bit helps.

wolfmetal45
Knight Officer

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 05:30:51 AM »

Ideally it'd be a trade with a local music store.  A used Peavey Predator Plus (Yeah I know it's not a great guitar, I was young and foolish and did NO research) and a slightly dinged up B.C. Rich Mockingbird that's atleast a decade old.  Say what you will but I was pretty impressed with how this one sounds.  It probably is from way back when they used decent pick ups and not the sithy stock pickups you find on their current models.  All in all the acoustic I want is sitting around $300 retail and ideally Id want $275 for the 2 guitars, the gig bag that I have for the Peavey and if push comes to shove I can part with my distortion pedal.

Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 05:45:39 AM »

I feel like finding a beginner theory course for free online would be pretty easy. it isn't too complicated. Okay, it's a little complicated. But drilling at it for a little bit helps.

I dunno, I tried taking that approach, but I learn better with hands-on learning rather than reading up on something and trying to learn from there.

Ideally it'd be a trade with a local music store.  A used Peavey Predator Plus (Yeah I know it's not a great guitar, I was young and foolish and did NO research) and a slightly dinged up B.C. Rich Mockingbird that's atleast a decade old.  Say what you will but I was pretty impressed with how this one sounds.  It probably is from way back when they used decent pick ups and not the sithy stock pickups you find on their current models.  All in all the acoustic I want is sitting around $300 retail and ideally Id want $275 for the 2 guitars, the gig bag that I have for the Peavey and if push comes to shove I can part with my distortion pedal.

B.C. Rich makes amazing guitars. The only reason why they get such a bad rep is because of their lower-end models and because of their "outrageous shapes". Oh, and distortion pedals aren't really necessary. Just use the distortion on your amp, unless of course your amp was designed for total clean playing. I'd just use an overdrive pedal for leads and stuff if I were you, and to boost the EQ for your setup.

wolfmetal45
Knight Officer

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 05:50:08 AM »

B.C. Rich makes amazing guitars. The only reason why they get such a bad rep is because of their lower-end models and because of their "outrageous shapes". Oh, and distortion pedals aren't really necessary. Just use the distortion on your amp, unless of course your amp was designed for total clean playing. I'd just use an overdrive pedal for leads and stuff if I were you, and to boost the EQ for your setup.

Yeah I agree with you there, I use an Ibanez Toneblaster 100 (Yeah I know...a Peavey guitar an Ibanez amp boy did I do that one backwards  Cheesy ) But I like it a lot.  I use a Tube Screamer pedal and the cleans are to die for.  With the overdrive channel on the amp I can get about Megadeth levels of distortion which is just about where I like it.  I picked up the pedal because, much tomy distatste, the only active bands in my area are screamo metal and only wanted heavy distortion   Embarrassed

Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 05:52:55 AM »

depending on our instrumentation for this particular project, I might advise against distortion simply because it cuts too much and would stand out against other instruments.

As for amp dist. vs. pedal dist, I'm a pedal Guy. Ultumately it depends on the amp, because a nice tube amp will give you a heck of a lot of drive that is better than many pedals. Then again, i just like the pedals I use for giving some edge but with more control... as well as total chaos. My Zvex Fuzz Factory is such a crazy piece of gear. I actually put velcro on my guitar and it so i had easy access to its controls. mainly "Stability". turn that down and good lord, look out, it oscillates like a banshee. which is great  Grin

Also, A tube screamer is a beautiful beautiful thing. So versatile.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 05:58:52 AM »

LOL. Yeah you did get that backwards Tongue But oh well. As long as you have a guitar and an amp, you are set. I think too many people get caught up on gear. It's like what Billy Sheehan once said, "Players always place the blame on their equipment. Oh I suck so maybe I need a new amp, or a new bass, or a new guitar, etc. No. Just stop thinking and practice." Or something along those lines.

Oh, and I love the tube screamer! And yeah... that sucks Sad I'm one of those guys that really tries to defend harsh vocals as an artform. Thing is that I never understood how people can label a genre purely by whether or not it contains harsh vocals. It's like guitar with distortion, only for the voice. Metal isn't metal simply because of distortion.

But yeah, I do think some modern metal bands do make their music rather dis-tastefully...

wolfmetal45
Knight Officer

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 06:06:04 AM »

I don't mind heavy distortion and harsh vocals if used right.  I think S.O.A.D. has a great mesh of clean and harsh both for the vocals and guitar.  But pure screamo just isn't for me.  But in your opinion how much can you see a shop owner offering for a Predator in almost perfect condition (it only needs to be restrung but it IS a Floyd Rose setup...terrible choice in hindsight) with a gig bag, a B.C. Rich Mockingbird that has a pretty scratched up finish and a Boss Metalcore Distortion Pedal?

Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: