Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Noob to the saber building world, with some technical questions..  (Read 1242 times)
GuitarGuy89
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

Hello there all!  First off I will apologize for my noob like questions, but as I am building my first saber, I want to make sure I know what I am doing.  I already have the hilt itself built (I'll include a picture), but as for the electronics, I most say that I have very little clue what I am doing even with some research.  I've even debated not doing any sound or LED and just leaving it as a stunt saber, but at the same time not having to make the saber's noise myself would be nice.  My saber is made completely of MHS parts from TCSS, so my biggest question would be if the electronics from here would even be compatible with it, such as the MLS unit, battery packs an so on.  In term of sound, are the Obsidian soundfonts compatible with the Petite Crouton soundboard? Basically I'm trying to decided which parts to buy from which store based off what I like, but compatibility is something I know almost nothing of.  Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.  I dont know exactly when I will get to actually buying the parts to work on my saber, or if I will just leave it as a stunt, but I look forward to joining the ranks of those who build lightsabers!

And here's a picture of my hilt, aka, the "Claimh Solais"

"You're Shorter than I expected..."

Arios007
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:15:49 AM »

I'm still in the process of building my first custom lightsaber myself, so don't believe everything I say  Cheesy But I think I can help you a little bit.

1. If you look hard enough (well not really), you will find many sufficient wiring schematics, instructions, and guides on both TCSS and Ultrasabers for installing electronics in a lightsaber. Just takes a little bit of research in both forums. But do take the time to read, installing electronics isn't exactly the easiest thing to do, especially if you have sound.

2. Most of the electronics sold here on Ultrasabers appear to be Ultrasabers's take on many of TCSS's parts, and since those are obviously designed to be in sabers, Ultra's work too. The most important thing to look for is info such as inner diameter, outer diameter, etc.

3. The Obsidian sound fonts were originally designed by Novastar (please excuse my mention of the name) which are compatible with the newly-unlocked Petit Crouton. But please somebody affirm or disprove my assumption, I'm not 100% on this either.

Good luck and MTFBWY
P.S. Nice looking saber so far! I like the shroud  Grin

Anakin: I sense Count Dooku.
Obi-Wan: I sense a trap.
Anakin: Next move?
Obi-Wan: Spring the trap.

GuitarGuy89
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »

Thanks for the input!  I'm quite proud of my first take at making a hilt. Smiley  I've been leaning more towards buying the electronics from UltraSabers.  One more question though, on TCSS, most of their electronics set up requires a decent amount of soldering and hooking up the correct resisters, which they also sell.  I haven't seen anything like that on US website, do their electronics come with that stuff already hooked up, or do you just have to buy that stuff elsewhere?

Arios007
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »

I believe if you buy the LED module or MLS unit that they have in the Electronics section, it will be resistored to its color already, so I think you can just hook it up straight away after you receive it. I'm not 100% about this, and if I were you, I would get the electronics at TCSS (not to bash on Ultrasabers). The electronics that they have on there are completely unmodified, so you can do it however you want, such as overdriving the LED to get a brighter color. Also, a bit of experience in the beginning will help in the long run  Cool

Anakin: I sense Count Dooku.
Obi-Wan: I sense a trap.
Anakin: Next move?
Obi-Wan: Spring the trap.

GuitarGuy89
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

Well I'm not looking to modify things in any way, so that kind of makes me lean to staying with Ultra. haha.   My only electronics knowledge comes from doing very simple work on my car and helping my dad around the house.  However, I know that the LED module from TCSS is made to be an exact fit for an MHS emitter, is Ultra's the same way?  Or would it require some modification? 

GuitarGuy89
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »

Not sure if double posting is frowned upon here, but I think after a few hours of searching, I may have found a good answer to my question.  Came across this thread  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1691.0 and the way he has his electronics set up here is almost exactly what I want to do (Obsidian soundboard, battery/speaker pack,  non-LED av switch, TCSS LED module)  and I think I could achieve what I want with his method.  So, now all I need to do is wait for US to begin selling the Obsidian XT on the website again!  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: