Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: A few "stupid" questions from a nervous buyer  (Read 10146 times)
navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 03:55:21 AM »

Cool. To each their own on edge, but might suggest considering NOT getting the Ultra edge when you get the yellow. In fact, since you're getting two sabers, it might be REALLY worth your while get one of each edge to compare both colors in so you know what they look like. Seriously. Most first purchasers get Ultra Edge blades as a matter of course because they assume Ultra = better. Since you're getting two blades at once you can avoid that trap and se what they look like next to each other. You'd save a few bucks too. Just rock paper scissor the guy for who gets what. Smiley

Also, you know you can get blades 32"? If you don't say it's a 36" and those are really, really long.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:59 AM »

32" is standard, and 36" is extra long.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

InverseKnight
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

Where Light and Darkness Intertwine

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:31 AM »

Cool. To each their own on edge, but might suggest considering NOT getting the Ultra edge when you get the yellow. In fact, since you're getting two sabers, it might be REALLY worth your while get one of each edge to compare both colors in so you know what they look like. Seriously. Most first purchasers get Ultra Edge blades as a matter of course because they assume Ultra = better. Since you're getting two blades at once you can avoid that trap and see what they look like next to each other. You'd save a few bucks too. Just rock paper scissor the guy for who gets what. Smiley

Also, you know you can get blades 32"? If you don't say it's a 36" and those are really, really long.

That's actually a good idea. I just don't want to be the one with the derp-ass lightsaber. I think my intention was to get a better quality blade. Because, like I said, we plan to use these to beat the Hell out of each other. The only difference between standard and initiate is length, right? Or is there a quality difference? In any event, is Ultra better at all? Or can I save us both some money by going standard? Can I be directed to video and photographic comparative references?

InverseKnight
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »

Quick Side Question: I just read about the convertech stuff again, can I or can I not special order the convertech wheel for my Initiate? Just a thought. I can't find the damn "edit post" button, either.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 12:30:46 PM »

Quick Side Question: I just read about the convertech stuff again, can I or can I not special order the convertech wheel for my Initiate? Just a thought. I can't find the damn "edit post" button, either.

As far as getting one installed, you'd have to contact Deep about that.  [email protected] will do the trick.  He would have to drill and tap a hole to install the wheel (which might not be a problem at all).

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »

That's actually a good idea. I just don't want to be the one with the derp-ass lightsaber. I think my intention was to get a better quality blade. Because, like I said, we plan to use these to beat the Hell out of each other. The only difference between standard and initiate is length, right? Or is there a quality difference? In any event, is Ultra better at all? Or can I save us both some money by going standard? Can I be directed to video and photographic comparative references?

Ok, this is one of the most common misconceptions. Besides length, there are TWO important choices to be made giving you FOUR combinations of blades from which to choose. What you are calling "derp-ass"; A) doesn't exist, and besides; B) I mentioned nothing of quality.

Grade = Thickness (Mid or Heavy)
Edge = Appearance (Regular or Ultra)

Edge has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO with durability. I suggested you get one of each Edge so that you could choose more intelligently how your more expensive saber appears because the difference between the two is SIGNIFICANT in person. (It is much less apparent in pictures.) This is discussed and explained about 100 times elsewhere so I'll leave you to your search and my advice.

To be perfectly clear, your response above implies you are not making a choice based on knowledge. Please look at this page and understand that the blades on the LEFT are the regular edge, those on the right are Ultra edge (appearance!). The ones in the middle are thinner walled. The ones on the bottom of thicker walled (durability + weight).

InverseKnight
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »

Ok, this is one of the most common misconceptions. Besides length, there are TWO important choices to be made giving you FOUR combinations of blades from which to choose. What you are calling "derp-ass"; A) doesn't exist, and besides; B) I mentioned nothing of quality.

Grade = Thickness (Mid or Heavy)
Edge = Appearance (Regular or Ultra)

Edge has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO with durability. I suggested you get one of each Edge so that you could choose more intelligently how your more expensive saber appears because the difference between the two is SIGNIFICANT in person. (It is much less apparent in pictures.) This is discussed and explained about 100 times elsewhere so I'll leave you to your search and my advice.

To be perfectly clear, your response above implies you are not making a choice based on knowledge. Please look at this page and understand that the blades on the LEFT are the regular edge, those on the right are Ultra edge (appearance!). The ones in the middle are thinner walled. The ones on the bottom of thicker walled (durability + weight).

I mentioned I was stupid, aye?

I noticed the different between column and rows. As I understand it, Edge is some something or other that makes the blade LOOK better. I want that, coupled with grade; which as I understand, is durability. All the blades, however, I understand are durable. I might not be explaining myself clearly, or am talking myself in circles, as usual. I'm a little derp that way.

Arakan Steele
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 17

AKA - Darth Xion

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »

I mentioned I was stupid, aye?

I noticed the different between column and rows. As I understand it, Edge is some something or other that makes the blade LOOK better. I want that, coupled with grade; which as I understand, is durability. All the blades, however, I understand are durable. I might not be explaining myself clearly, or am talking myself in circles, as usual. I'm a little derp that way.

From my understanding, UltraEdge option makes the blade look DIFFERENT, not always better. It seems to vary by color. Some colors look better WITH the UltraEdge option, other colors look better WITHOUT the UltraEdge option. But it really depends on the color.

Everything is subject to personal opinion of course...

Check this thread and scroll down a ways on the first post and read Deep's Opinions for more info: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=3096.0
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:19:59 PM by Arakan Steele » Logged

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red (Xion's Flame)

"Who's the more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

Yes, Ultra edge looks different, NOT in any way, intrinsically better. It is wholly subjective which is why, in your case, I strongly suggest you order one of each and see which both you like better.

I prefer the standard edge to the ultra in all colors except Destiny, and especially in yellow and red. You'll never know, and you'll never be able to compare, unless you've got them in hand.

Get whatever grade you want, but I suggest one of each edge.

InverseKnight
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »

From my understanding, UltraEdge option makes the blade look DIFFERENT, not always better. It seems to vary by color. Some colors look better WITH the UltraEdge option, other colors look better WITHOUT the UltraEdge option. But it really depends on the color.

Everything is subject to personal opinion of course...

Check this thread and scroll down a ways on the first post and read Deep's Opinions for more info: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=3096.0

My opinions on the Ultra Edge have now changed. But, now I ask; should I upgrade from Ultra-Edge to Heavy Grade? Is Mid-Grade durable enough?

Arakan Steele
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 17

AKA - Darth Xion

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »

My opinions on the Ultra Edge have now changed. But, now I ask; should I upgrade from Ultra-Edge to Heavy Grade? Is Mid-Grade durable enough?

Mid-grade blades:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpWnjiXwK8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpWnjiXwK8</a>

I did remember reading somewhere though... if you decide to duel with someone make sure you duel with equal grade blades... in other words duel with a mid vs mid or a heavy vs heavy, but never duel with a heavy vs mid. And the heavy-grade are always recommended for "intense" dueling.

Edit: not MY video, just sharing a link

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red (Xion's Flame)

"Who's the more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

InverseKnight
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

We'll be fine with Mid-Grade. Cheesy You ran them over, for Kriff's sake. I think they'll be fine.

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »

I'm afraid the terminology is still escaping you. Going from Ultra Edge to Heavy Grade is not an up grade. Ultra Edge and Heavy grade have nothing to do with each other.

Grade
Edge

Two different variables.

Grade
Mid
Heavy (twice as thick, twice as heavy)

Edge
Regular (clear tube, silver film)
Ultra  (milky white tube, silver film)

If you go mid grade be prepared for them to flex/bend a lot when you spar with them.

InverseKnight
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »

I'm afraid the terminology is still escaping you. Going from Ultra Edge to Heavy Grade is not an up grade. Ultra Edge and Heavy grade have nothing to do with each other.

Grade
Edge

Two different variables.

Grade
Mid
Heavy (twice as thick, twice as heavy)

Edge
Regular (clear tube, silver film)
Ultra  (milky white tube, silver film)

If you go mid grade be prepared for them to flex/bend a lot when you spar with them.

You're clearly misunderstanding me.

The pricing is the upgrading. I'm not that stupid. It costs more to get a Heavy Grade blade than it does an Ultra Edge. Maybe I don't elaborate enough. Edge = Appearance / Grade = Function. Simple concept.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 02:31:23 AM »

You're clearly misunderstanding me.

The pricing is the upgrading. I'm not that stupid. It costs more to get a Heavy Grade blade than it does an Ultra Edge. Maybe I don't elaborate enough. Edge = Appearance / Grade = Function. Simple concept.

Ok you're talking from a price point of view.

In that case, Ultraedge or regular midgrade should be fine.  Unless you really wail on these things, in my experience the midgrade blades hold up very well.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: