Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: A few "stupid" questions from a nervous buyer  (Read 10147 times)
InverseKnight
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

Where Light and Darkness Intertwine

« on: February 23, 2012, 05:35:04 AM »

Hello all, I'd like to ask a few questions before I buy anything. I plan to buy at least three lightsabers; four at max: for now, anyway. One for myself, one as a gift to a good friend. I don't understand the finer tunings of some things, though.

The battery configuration system is confusing to me, and I'd like someone to explain to me the difference.

The "Quick Disconnect" system, as well. Not sure what that means.

Also, I'd like to know which, if any, of what, I can use as a "belt clip". Something to connect the hilt of my saber to my belt. I know they have them, damn it. Which pommels, if any, have them; or is it an extra feature I need to find myself. Or am I just an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about?

Anyway, I'm interested in:

Initiate v3 - Undecided
Dark Initiate v2 (Maybe v3) - Consular Green
Archon v2 - Sentinel Yellow

The Intitiate's I'd get first, the Archon I'd need by Celebration VI. I'm not showing up without a Golden Lightsaber. That just wouldn't be proper. As for the color of the v3 Initiate, any ideas of what would go well (duel-wielding speaking) with Sentinel Yellow? The Dark Initiate is my gift, and I'd like to get him a v3, but he said he liked the v2 because of the size. As for the fourth, subjective, lightsaber, when the Limited Edition versions of the v3 Prophecy arrive, I might get a Violet / Dark Violet Amethyst version.

So if anyone could provide me with information on those specific functions of the process, as well as advice and what have you on buying, and maybe a few pictures or links to good Sentinel Yellow lightsabers (I've been lurking as is), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »

I like Symmetry when dual wielding so I'd go the same color but SY and CG wouldn't look bad at all together.

The colors are complimentary to one another.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Zurth
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 35

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:31 AM »

I own a Dark Initiate V2 in Consular Green, its quite nice. I suggest getting it in UltraEdge Grin But to answer a question about your pommels, I do not believe UltraSabers has one that allows to clip onto a belt clip. There is a thread around here that deals with the quick disconnect, which I will look for if you'd like Smiley and the Li-thon battery configuration refers to AA batteries that are rechargeable? Which are needed for Sound, and Flash on Clash. All those goodies, if im not mistaken

Lightsabers:
Dark Initiate V2: BR
Dark Initiate V2 LE: CG, VA
Dark Liberator V2: AS
Red SI Battle Saber: V2 FO

Shami Pemas
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 18

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:04 AM »

Hello all, I'd like to ask a few questions before I buy anything. I plan to buy at least three lightsabers; four at max: for now, anyway. One for myself, one as a gift to a good friend. I don't understand the finer tunings of some things, though.

The battery configuration system is confusing to me, and I'd like someone to explain to me the difference.

The "Quick Disconnect" system, as well. Not sure what that means.

Also, I'd like to know which, if any, of what, I can use as a "belt clip". Something to connect the hilt of my saber to my belt. I know they have them, damn it. Which pommels, if any, have them; or is it an extra feature I need to find myself. Or am I just an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about?

Anyway, I'm interested in:

Initiate v3 - Undecided
Dark Initiate v2 (Maybe v3) - Consular Green
Archon v2 - Sentinel Yellow

The Intitiate's I'd get first, the Archon I'd need by Celebration VI. I'm not showing up without a Golden Lightsaber. That just wouldn't be proper. As for the color of the v3 Initiate, any ideas of what would go well (duel-wielding speaking) with Sentinel Yellow? The Dark Initiate is my gift, and I'd like to get him a v3, but he said he liked the v2 because of the size. As for the fourth, subjective, lightsaber, when the Limited Edition versions of the v3 Prophecy arrive, I might get a Violet / Dark Violet Amethyst version.

So if anyone could provide me with information on those specific functions of the process, as well as advice and what have you on buying, and maybe a few pictures or links to good Sentinel Yellow lightsabers (I've been lurking as is), I'd greatly appreciate it.

not stupid questions at all.

The battery config is either standard AAA batteries, or Lithium Ion batteries. The Li-Ion batteries have a longer lifespan, and are rechargeable. They are required by Ultrasabers on any saber with their soundboard.

The quick disconnect system is for the LED module. it allows you to unclip the LED in the saber and install a different LED (in a different color) purchased separately.

most of the fullsize sabers come with a "covertec clip". this was a cell phone belt clip system, that was used in the Prequel Trilogy. The initiates do not come with covertec clips, so i suggest spending a little bit more for a fullsize saber with a covertec if you want an instant belt clip system. Otherwise if you can do a bit of metal work, you could install a D-ring on the pommel of the initiates by drilling a hole and tapping it for a screw.

Anything you choose will be top quality. I'm quite impressed with my sabers.

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »

Very much suggest a Silver LED + LEE Filtter for a yellow blade if not going with flash on clash.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Shami Pemas
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 06:10:44 AM »

Very much suggest a Silver LED + LEE Filtter for a yellow blade if not going with flash on clash.

why?

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »

Because the yellow I think the yellow is richer, deeper, truer and brighter. The only time I use my Yellow RGB module is when I want to show off the flash on clash. That's rad, no doubt. But if I just want the yellow (which is often) then it's white + Lee Burnt Yellow filter all the way.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:25:17 AM »

Keep in mind that the RGB LED gives a different color than the Stand alone ordering of SY.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Shami Pemas
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:58:39 AM »

i'm curious to know why US uses an RGB LED to make Sentinel Yellow, rather than using a single amber LED...

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »

i'm curious to know why US uses an RGB LED to make Sentinel Yellow, rather than using a single amber LED...

From what we've learned from Ultra in the past it's because the RGB LED can 1) be tuned to a specific color and 2) is brighter without as much over drive as an amber LED.

That info may not cover some of the newer developed LEDs but it's what I knwo on the subject.

Cheers.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »

I like Symmetry when dual wielding so I'd go the same color but SY and CG wouldn't look bad at all together.

The colors are complimentary to one another.

Agree.  Consular Green is an amazing choice (my favorite) and Sentinel Yellow would complement it nicely.  I've been looking to get a SY off hand saber for some time now in fact!

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »

Keep in mind that the RGB LED gives a different color than the Stand alone ordering of SY.

Not sure if that is directed at me or not. You know that all yellow that US sell are RGB right? I have a module. It's Sentinel Yellow made with an RGB LED module no different than others. It clashes to "white" (Actually, it's overdriven so its brighter than most, and even so...). It is inferior in all respects to my silver + filter.

Note that this opinion is typically in line with US and other saber hobby general wisdom which is one of the reasons it is not offered as a "stock" color. Until they can make a yellow as good as silver + filter (for instance as is the case with all primaries) I don't think there's much call for the mix, again, except for special effects via a sound board.

Since it's such a pale secondary you lose only a very tiny bit of brightness for a whole depth of color. It also doesn't obviously mix in the tube like the red/greens. In the end I just think it's by far the better choice, especially after you throw in the option of getting to play with all your saber colors.

Better yellow, better options: Papa John's. Wait. I mean Adegan Silver + Lee Filters. (It even costs less.)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »

Not sure if that is directed at me or not. You know that all yellow that US sell are RGB right? I have a module. It's Sentinel Yellow made with an RGB LED module no different than others. It clashes to "white" (Actually, it's overdriven so its brighter than most, and even so...). It is inferior in all respects to my silver + filter.

Note that this opinion is typically in line with US and other saber hobby general wisdom which is one of the reasons it is not offered as a "stock" color. Until they can make a yellow as good as silver + filter (for instance as is the case with all primaries) I don't think there's much call for the mix, again, except for special effects via a sound board.

Since it's such a pale secondary you lose only a very tiny bit of brightness for a whole depth of color. It also doesn't obviously mix in the tube like the red/greens. In the end I just think it's by far the better choice, especially after you throw in the option of getting to play with all your saber colors.

Better yellow, better options: Papa John's. Wait. I mean Adegan Silver + Lee Filters. (It even costs less.)

It was and thank you for explaining. Grin

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

I've got my hilt on the charger now. I'll post some pics.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »

Solid input.  I think the confusion was about the RGB color "Sentinel Yellow" vs the yellow you get on a saber with the RGB setup (four switches, seven possible colors).  Ultra has said before that the colors you get with that setup are not necessarily the same as the ones you'd get with a single color - for instance the purple is not exactly Violet Amethyst.  That's probably what Kham-Ryn thought you meant.

I haven't seen Sentinel Yellow in person yet, but when I do I'll be sure to compare it to the filtered silver.  My silver hilt with a yellow Lee filter is definitely very bright and beautiful!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: