Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: My first Saber, customized.  (Read 15120 times)
spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 40

« on: January 05, 2012, 11:27:22 PM »

I have ordered my first saber, a Shock LE with a Fire Orange Mid-Grade blade, Obsidian Sound with a red AV switch, and quickship. (I was also excited to find this thread with all the features I got, http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=3607.0) I am also planning on customizing it when it comes next week. First, I'm going to install an orange AV switch, then I thought the pommel was too big for my taste, so I'm getting an MHS Pommel Style 11 with possibly a style 12 insert and removing the convertec wheel. But most of all, I want to add a crystal chamber, and not the kind that are visible only when you pull the hilt apart. I'm just debating on how to do it. I was going to use the double male adaptor with slots and use a double female to attach everything together, but it would make the hilt too long and straight, I really want something different. So after thinking up different ways to do it, I think that I'm going to get an MHS choke style 1 short customized with either slots or a full window, and put a crystal in there. Anyone have any advice to make these work?

Customized Shock LE - FO + Obsidian/Old Republic Font
Manticore - FO + Ultimate FX Qui-Gon Soundboard
Customized Dark Initiate V3 - DVA/SRD FOC + Obsidian/Black Star Font

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »

If you search around, you'll find some modifications by one of our members to a dark war glaive.  He used a female-female extender and the coupler with vents on the website to give a crystal chamber effect.  It will make your hilt very long and a little hard to handle.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »

As long as you keep it balanced enough, a longer hilt will not necessarily make the saber harder to handle.  In fact, the extra weight towards the back (and larger area to grip) can actually give you more control.

That said, you don't really want to add things that will make the saber uncomfortable.  I would say something simple like a female-female extender might work out nicely for you, or you might want to check out some of the Archon customizations around the forum.  Many people have added pieces to the neck of that which show off the light in a crystal-chamber type of way.

Creativity is definitely a good thing, let us know what you end up with!

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »

Here's a few pics I made with the MHS builder and Graphicsgale to show a little of what I'm planning.

Here's the closest I could get to the Shock LE on MHS Builder

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now after I get the saber, I'm going to replace the pommel and remove the convertec and add a MHS style 1 short choke for a crystal chamber/grip.

Here's Option 1 with grooves machined into the choke like the slits in the MHS double male chamber.

And here's option 2 with a window like starkiller's saber in TFO1 (but as a crappy job on paint)

I'm just debating on which would be better. Also if I went for option 1 if I would add an actual crystal or just let the light make it look like a crystal chamber like I've seen alot of people do. Also I'm going to add some brown leather or other fabric to it as a wrap around it somewhere, to give it an older look. Any suggestions or comments would be great!  Grin It's my first saber cutsomization, and my first US saber ever.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:39:57 PM by spn_phoenix_92 » Logged

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »

I tried to add this as an edit, but it wouldn't let me do it. I had just thought that maybe I should get my new parts copper instead of gold to add some contrast, like here. I think it would look much better.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »

The crystal chamber looks like a great option.

If you are looking for input, I would say that if you are going for the crystal aspect then follow through with it.

A nice crystal chamber is a eye catching element that brings a whole new flavor profile IMO.

Maybe a plastic crystal from an aquarium rock, which can be found cheap at your local crafts store like Micheal's

They are made of a plastic that cuts or can be drilled easily.

Just be careful with the setup as the uneven shape can make it move or rock back and forth. If you have shop vice then put soft material on either side to make up for the uneven surface and lock it down.  Use a small drill bit and take it in and out to clear the bits or they will fuse back as it cools. Then use a larger bit, with the same steps until it is big enough to let your light beam through without reducing the strength.

This will let 100% of the center beam and the gem will side radiate  Smiley

In fact if you have a tapered step bit then the job will go quicker and cleaner...it cleans out all the bits easily

Light side points please Smiley

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:11:09 PM »

I tried to add this as an edit, but it wouldn't let me do it. I had just thought that maybe I should get my new parts copper instead of gold to add some contrast, like here. I think it would look much better.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This one looks really tight, don't get me wrong I love the crystal chamber but that copper.

Oh boy does that look good, it makes it look like an Old Republic saber and would really compliment your FO.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This one looks really tight, don't get me wrong I love the crystal chamber but that copper.

Oh boy does that look good, it makes it look like an Old Republic saber and would really compliment your FO.

I love the old repubic style sabers, especially with lots of copper and gold. I've had this saber idea for years, but I didn't know how to come around to it and be able to affford it, but as soon as I seen the Shock LE I knew I could customize it to get the saber I've always wanted. It's exciting  Grin

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 02:57:45 AM »

The crystal chamber looks like a great option.

If you are looking for input, I would say that if you are going for the crystal aspect then follow through with it.

A nice crystal chamber is a eye catching element that brings a whole new flavor profile IMO.

Maybe a plastic crystal from an aquarium rock, which can be found cheap at your local crafts store like Micheal's

They are made of a plastic that cuts or can be drilled easily.

Just be careful with the setup as the uneven shape can make it move or rock back and forth. If you have shop vice then put soft material on either side to make up for the uneven surface and lock it down.  Use a small drill bit and take it in and out to clear the bits or they will fuse back as it cools. Then use a larger bit, with the same steps until it is big enough to let your light beam through without reducing the strength.

This will let 100% of the center beam and the gem will side radiate  Smiley

In fact if you have a tapered step bit then the job will go quicker and cleaner...it cleans out all the bits easily

I actually used one of those in a ROTS Darth Vader Electronic Toy saber mod I did years ago, for some reason the plastic bade in one was orange instead of red so I bought it and installed an orange crystal and replaced the LEDs with Orange.

Now to be back on topic, I was thinking about using one again, but also I have some real amber pieces I got years ago, and maybe using one of those, or a quartz crystal. I'll test them out and see which looks best.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »

I have a couple of quartz crystals that are nice and clear that I've thrown in front of an LED to see how they look, I'd say that or your amber would just be awesome. Have to say I'd also be REAL interested to see how it would look if you put that amber in an AS blade! bet that would make a great variant of the color!

Oh, and I love your windowed chamber idea. Wink

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

I finally got my saber in! You can find the review here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=4620.0

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 11:27:53 PM »

I'm going to be ordering my custom parts soon for the saber, so I made a pic showing exactly what it'll look like. I'm also going to get "Ignis" engraved on the hilt, which is fire in latin, I thought that it would be an awesome name for my saber.

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »

The parts shipped and are going to br arriving thursday, but I didnt get the parts colored copper cause it was like $30 extra to get it done, so I'm going to get some copper spraypaint and do it myself. Anyone know where I can get some good copper spraypaint that's not hammered finish? that's all they have at walmart.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:12 PM »

Hey check out this site, I am sure there is some useful data hidden within the article

Grin

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/creating-copper-finishes/

Light side points please Smiley

spn_phoenix_92
Knight Ensign

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »

So my parts came in today! And I can't even begin to tell you how amazing the custom saber shop is at custom orders!

Just for a little reminder, here is my basic Shock LE

Now time to be blown away!

Here are the parts by themselves.

The only thing thats not perfect is this tiny gap at the choke, I'm just gonna figure out how to make it look ok.

I'll let the pictures speak more for me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: