Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Question concerning a claim about White Polycarbonate Blades  (Read 1295 times)
Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« on: January 05, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »

I am into some uncharted territory here and I would like the opinion of those that build sabers all of the time to please give me your honest opinions.  My friend Hammonds is on a very tight budget building a PVC saber and he ran across a web site that claims their White Polycarbonate Blades will function well without diffuser material. 

I posted a question about the Ultraedge blades offered here and I received a response that Ultraedge Blades have a diffuser.  So it is my personal understanding that White Polycarbonate Blades need a diffuser to work well. 

I hate posting a question about another site's product on this forum but I promised Hammonds that I would put some feelers out as his only computer access is at work and they have software in place that prevents him from accessing forums. 

Anyone's helps is greatly appreciated.

Thanks from the Blue.

JJ

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »

White polycarbonate blades without blade film look like crap compared to ones with blade film.  That's just the plain truth.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »

Thanks Ultra.  That was my thought but I promised him I would ask.

JJ

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »

White polycarbonate blades without blade film look like crap compared to ones with blade film.  That's just the plain truth.

Really?  Interesting.  I am on the boat of doing tons of research first, as all the little fun bits add up quickly for a final bill that would break a platypus's back  Smiley

The film, is it loose or glued in along one side?  I suspect glued in some manner or it might break...very interesting from a technical aspect.

I am guessing the film helps transmit the light through the length of the blade, a refraction wicking action?

Very cool.  I had not noticed the film on the saber pics I have seen so far, it must be transparent or opaque?

Neat stuff...everyday something new to learn  Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »

I like getting technical, so here goes Cheesy

The film is actually made up of millions of  microscopic fibers that are pressed into a flat sheet.  When they are layered, and a light source is applied, it produces a side emitting fiber optic effect. You can see the film when you look at our standard clear blades. The shiny metallic look of our standard UltraBlade is due to the layered bladefilm.

Our film is a blend of cellulose and synthetic acetate.  This film is flexible enough for combat blades and makes light distribution very even. 

To my knowledge, no one else uses the same kind of film we do.  We feel our film is the best, although similar effects can be had with different types of films.

The film is glued in place on the bottom of all our blades.  The only exception is certain UltraEdge Initiate blades which dont need the film because their short length and white polycarbonate medium ensurers even light distribution.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »

Very cool...nifty neato and wowzers   Grin

Thanks!

Light side points please Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up