Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Single Li - Ion battery pack  (Read 1906 times)
jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« on: December 27, 2011, 06:03:22 AM »

^^^ Does anyone know where I could find one ?

I have only been able to find packs that house two 3.7v Li - Ion cells, and I would like to find a single, to avoid wiring a resistor into the mix.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

MTFBWY

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:44:41 PM »

I'm not aware of such a thing, but I believe Ultrasabers sells a dummy cell:  http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-electronics-dummycell.htm

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »

Yeah, a double with a dummy cell is probably your best bet.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »

So just to clarify -

If I put a dummy cell in the battery pack along with the regular 3.7v the voltage will still be 3.7v? and I will not need a resistor, correct?

Also, I am planning on wiring a recharge/kill port into the mix, so would I just remove the dummy cell when I want to charge it?

I apologize, I never really got the concept of the dummy cell thing until now :p
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:00:23 PM by jmPlagueis » Logged

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »

So just to clarify -

If I put a dummy cell in the battery pack along with the regular 3.7v the voltage will still be 3.7v? and I will not need a resistor, correct?

Also, I am planning on wiring a recharge/kill port into the mix, so would I just remove the dummy cell when I want to charge it?

I apologize, I never really got the concept of the dummy cell thing until now :p

Yes, the voltage will remain the same if you use a dummy cell.  It's basically just there as a placeholder, to complete the circuit really.

If you wire a recharge port into it, you shouldn't have to remove anything to charge it.  The whole point of such a port would be to avoid having to remove the cells to charge them, unless I am mistaken.

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »

Yes, the voltage will remain the same if you use a dummy cell.  It's basically just there as a placeholder, to complete the circuit really.

If you wire a recharge port into it, you shouldn't have to remove anything to charge it.  The whole point of such a port would be to avoid having to remove the cells to charge them, unless I am mistaken.

Thanks Nero, that clears it up for me, and the only reason I asked about the removal of the dummy cell is because when you go here http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-electronics-dummycell.htm there is a disclaimer saying not to charge it.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »

Thanks Nero, that clears it up for me, and the only reason I asked about the removal of the dummy cell is because when you go here http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-electronics-dummycell.htm there is a disclaimer saying not to charge it.

Hmmm... I'm not sure then.  If you're looking to do a recharge port maybe you shouldn't go with the dummy cell then.  It probably can't hold up to the voltage that's induced when the Li-ion cells charge, the heat could damage your internals in that case.  Hopefully Ultra can clear this up.

The_Night
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -38

"If it's not fun, you're not doing it right"

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:15:35 AM »

you shouldn't be using in hilt recharge with a plastic battery holder either way, it will likely melt the plastic and cause problems. you can buy prewired recharge packs at batteryspace.com that will work for in hilt charge.

Vintage Graflex ANH
Vintage Graflex ESB
Custom Hero LS6- PCU
JQ Quinlan Vos- PCU
MR Maul Staff- P4 Reds
MR Vader ESB FX
UFX Vader ANH- Lux3 Red
Larbel Obi TPM- CF v5.1
Parks Obi ANH

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 03:53:28 AM »

^^^ Does anyone know where I could find one ?

I have only been able to find packs that house two 3.7v Li - Ion cells, and I would like to find a single, to avoid wiring a resistor into the mix.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

MTFBWY
A resistor to what? the led? This kind of goes to my question i had for deep.

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »

A resistor to what? the led? This kind of goes to my question i had for deep.

Yes, because if you put two 3.7v in, you need a resistor because the LED is around 3.6v

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:03 AM »

what about if the led is a  dva?

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

Ok, time to chime in with some Ultra-wisdom:

It's fine to use a recharge port with a plastic battery holder.  Many devices couple the ability to recharge whilst still housing an accessible battery, i.e. phones, tablets, game controllers, flashlights, etc.  There's no harm in it.

You can use a dummy cell in an in-hilt recharge system since there is still an actual battery in the circuit being charged.  The disclaimer is just telling people not to place dummy cells into the external charger we provide with our sabers.  Unlike an in-hilt system, our chargers charge cells individually, and a dummy cell cant charge... I know, that should be a "no duh", but people have done it...

So if you can't find a single-cell holder, get a double and use a dummy cell, it will work just fine.

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 05:59:16 AM »

Ok, time to chime in with some Ultra-wisdom:

It's fine to use a recharge port with a plastic battery holder.  Many devices couple the ability to recharge whilst still housing an accessible battery, i.e. phones, tablets, game controllers, flashlights, etc.  There's no harm in it.

You can use a dummy cell in an in-hilt recharge system since there is still an actual battery in the circuit being charged.  The disclaimer is just telling people not to place dummy cells into the external charger we provide with our sabers.  Unlike an in-hilt system, our chargers charge cells individually, and a dummy cell cant charge... I know, that should be a "no duh", but people have done it...

So if you can't find a single-cell holder, get a double and use a dummy cell, it will work just fine.

Ok.. this helped A TON!!! thanks a million Ultra!!

DarthCooper88
11th Disciple of Masamune
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -248

Old-world crafstman, Sabersmith

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »

I was in Radio hack the other day digging deep in the parts bins, & they do carry a single AA battery holder for around 2 bucks. If you use one of these that will give you a lighter hilt & more space to cram wiring into! Shocked

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: