Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: TERMINATOR: DARK FATE - NON-SPOILER REVIEW  (Read 4291 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 10:14:15 PM »

This is why I enjoyed Salvation: it wasn't a time travel piece. It was simply good guys versus bad guys in the "present" (which is OUR future). What I liked even more about it was the nature of Skynet. It wasn't just a simple machine with a flawed logic.....it was learning. It was capable of baiting the humans; making sacrifice maneuvers in order to achieve greater victory.
There was some good stuff in Salvation. Unfortunately there was also a lot of bad (all the Sam Worthington stuff in particular was executed poorly). Very few movies are perfect. However, the best ones are those that limit the "bad" stuff. Unfortunately for me, Rise, Salvation and Genisys had too much bad to be considered good or enjoyable. Just my opinion though.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 12:24:34 PM »

I think the problem is, fans of the franchise have, for the most part, not enjoyed Rise, Salvation or Genisys. So it's a case of fool me once, fool me twice. Also, the younger generation don't have the same connection to the franchise or the same love as they more than likely grew up with Rise, Salvation and Genisys. Also, apart from Salvation, all the movies are the same basic plot: sentient machines send a killer robot back in time to kill an important leader. Humans send back a protector. Fight! Kind of repetitive, even when you have a movie like Dark Fate that has some fantastic action.

I just don't think all fans think like that. A nice portion have a connection, some don't know, some don't care, and some aren't into it because it's not popular for their age and era.

The Terminator franchise has always been about what it means to be human and what makes us different than machines. It's a question that goes back to early human myths, which begs the question on how humans are different from animals. If you look at it, each franchise other than The Terminator, the T-800 learns to become more and more human

Then the machines arrived on your front door. Dark Fate and its predecessors in the franchise, revolve around artificial intelligence deeming that humans pose a major treat to the future, and they are far from alone. Authors have written about dangerous, intelligent machines at least as far back as the 1870s. But whether you're talking about Samuel Butler’s 1872 novel Erewhon, where he talks about machines that developed consciousness, or Dark Fate, the threat posed by AI isn’t just physical, but metaphysical. The concept of a computer possessing intelligence that rivals or surpasses our own special way of thinking that we are the most intelligent life in the universe. Artificial intelligence and machines have made us ask the question again “What makes humans special?”

Instead, stories like Dark Fate emphasize physiological differences between human and machine. Take Grace for example, she's a modified human that has the conscious to decide between good or bad versus the Rev 9 that only follow orders based on it's design and programming. Can you have a machine that develops it's own way of thinking from lack of instruction and living among humans? Humans face life and death where the latter is permanent versus machines that can be upgraded, repaired, or rebuilt.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2776

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »

There was some good stuff in Salvation. Unfortunately there was also a lot of bad (all the Sam Worthington stuff in particular was executed poorly). Very few movies are perfect. However, the best ones are those that limit the "bad" stuff. Unfortunately for me, Rise, Salvation and Genisys had too much bad to be considered good or enjoyable. Just my opinion though.
Yeah, the Sam scenes did leave a funky taste, but I also think they were done that way (at least pre-reveal) to foreshadow that something wasn't on the level with him. For me, the giant robot fight sticks out as WTF? A human would have been dead 5x over fighting that thing. But then all was made clear strolling through the mine field.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -778

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 02:37:21 PM »

I always thought an interesting story would be that Skynet was running out of resources in the future and could not spare any more Terminators.  So instead they send back instructions and gold to a criminal organization to hunt Connor.  Climax would be a Terminator showing up after all and the Criminals realizing they would not be spared in the future and combining forces to take it down.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 02:49:19 PM »

I always thought an interesting story would be that Skynet was running out of resources in the future and could not spare any more Terminators.  So instead they send back instructions and gold to a criminal organization to hunt Connor.  Climax would be a Terminator showing up after all and the Criminals realizing they would not be spared in the future and combining forces to take it down.
Considering that Skynet pretty much wiped out civilization, it could scavenge resources from all over the world. Would take a long time to run out. Undecided

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »

Considering that Skynet pretty much wiped out civilization, it could scavenge resources from all over the world. Would take a long time to run out. Undecided

Ok.... allow me to be specific.  The war is coming to an end.  Skynet has very few strongholds left and is hoarding the resources they have including the reaming Terminators to guard their "mainframe'.  In a last ditch effort they execute the plan I described.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »

Ok.... allow me to be specific.  The war is coming to an end.  Skynet has very few strongholds left and is hoarding the resources they have including the reaming Terminators to guard their "mainframe'.  In a last ditch effort they execute the plan I described.
Ok, little more sense. Thank you.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 05:56:44 PM »

Ok, little more sense. Thank you.

Welcome...actually.  I may write this up now.  Use it as a writing exercise.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »

(at least pre-reveal)
They gave it away in the trailer!  Cheesy

I just don't think all fans think like that. A nice portion have a connection, some don't know, some don't care, and some aren't into it because it's not popular for their age and era.

The Terminator franchise has always been about what it means to be human and what makes us different than machines. It's a question that goes back to early human myths, which begs the question on how humans are different from animals. If you look at it, each franchise other than The Terminator, the T-800 learns to become more and more human

Then the machines arrived on your front door. Dark Fate and its predecessors in the franchise, revolve around artificial intelligence deeming that humans pose a major treat to the future, and they are far from alone. Authors have written about dangerous, intelligent machines at least as far back as the 1870s. But whether you're talking about Samuel Butler’s 1872 novel Erewhon, where he talks about machines that developed consciousness, or Dark Fate, the threat posed by AI isn’t just physical, but metaphysical. The concept of a computer possessing intelligence that rivals or surpasses our own special way of thinking that we are the most intelligent life in the universe. Artificial intelligence and machines have made us ask the question again “What makes humans special?”

Instead, stories like Dark Fate emphasize physiological differences between human and machine. Take Grace for example, she's a modified human that has the conscious to decide between good or bad versus the Rev 9 that only follow orders based on it's design and programming. Can you have a machine that develops it's own way of thinking from lack of instruction and living among humans? Humans face life and death where the latter is permanent versus machines that can be upgraded, repaired, or rebuilt.
You have read way more into these movies than I ever have (or will). I think it's great you enjoy them on such a deep level though. Just wish I felt the same, but I don't. And doubt I ever will. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's okay to disagree on movies and still stay friends.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »

They gave it away in the trailer!  Cheesy
Thank goodness I missed the trailers.

It pretty much fall into "How do you teach an intelligence the value of life?" There are humans that fail to grasp this value, so how do you explain it to something devoid of emotion; that only rationalizes on cold hard logic. Like in 2, the T-800 trying to understand the intricacies of crying.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: