Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: GOOGLE STADIA: The Future of Gaming?  (Read 8081 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: March 20, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a_tThFGe_s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Error 404 (Not Found)!!1</a>

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »

I was watching a different video on this earlier, on a channel I follow. All I can say is this: streaming gaming is not for me. I have no idea how well the thing will do, though. It may take off like streaming media has, or it may not. I guarantee you that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will be watching this with interest.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:47:42 PM »

One thing they mention in the video is that not everyone around the world has great internet connection. So that would be a major factor as to how successful this will be.

They also say that there are still a lot of people who want to own the game, you know, for when they move house or something. I know that physical media is dying slowing (sales of bluray are going down) and that the same will happen to gaming. However, I personally prefer actually owning the thing. Because if South Park has shown us anything it's that one day the internet will go down and when that time comes, society will degenerate into a Mad Max style future. Except for those of us who own physical copies. We will be the new overlords.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »

That's true, not everyone across the globe have access to internet

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »

Yes, indeed. I gave you both points for having great points. Smiley

One morning several months back, I was trying to watch something on Hulu. I have a great internet connection, but it was struggling that morning. These things happen, slowdowns and outages are a thing. So, I popped in a DVD and went on my merry way. No issues with that, of course. Now, I do buy digital games, but only because I can download them to my machine and play offline. Even Steam can be launched in offline mode. However, if you don't have the game saved locally, there's a problem when you lose internet.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 02:51:55 PM »

Also, sometimes streaming may not be the issues, but rather the device itself. We all know how updates and apps can interfere with the functionality of phones and tablets.

Plus, when I play a game, I want it on a nice size screen, not a phone or tablet.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:59:44 PM »

Yep, more valid points. I've had online games struggle because a console or my PC was trying to update something. And, for sure on the screen thing. I played phone games for a while, when I first got a smartphone. But, the novelty wore off real soon. I hardly even play my 3DS (I'm not even sure where it is right now) even though it's really nice, because I love playing on bigger screens. I love my 43" TV for gaming. Smiley

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »

I'm not a gamer so my opinion didn't bring much to this. But I did hear a little about this the last couple days and to me sounds like a decent idea. To think all I need is a wifi controller (already have Chromecast) without having to buy any other equipment is a huge bonus. Then being able to play at home, on my phone, etc.. seems pretty cool. Anyway just seems like it has a chance if they can work the kinks out.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »

I still have my gameboy, but only for that retro factor. Only have super marioland and tetris for it. Both my ps3 and ps4 are connected to my 32" tv in my bedroom. Have been thinking I might get something  bigger though. Maybe in the summer.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:52 PM »

I'm not a gamer so my opinion didn't bring much to this. But I did hear a little about this the last couple days and to me sounds like a decent idea. To think all I need is a wifi controller (already have Chromecast) without having to buy any other equipment is a huge bonus. Then being able to play at home, on my phone, etc.. seems pretty cool. Anyway just seems like it has a chance if they can work the kinks out.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

And, I believe you just summed up exactly who a gaming device like this is perfect for, tx. People who aren't as much into gaming and who aren't going to have a collection, or worry about having a collection, they just want to play a few games here and there. It's just a single device you hook up to your TV, no mess or anything. And, you can definitely get bluetooth controllers, It may even come with one, though the hardware specs are pretty vague right now. They're for sure going to sell a dedicated controller, though.

I still have my gameboy, but only for that retro factor.

The Game Boy was the first gaming device I bought with my own money, when I got my first job in 1995. Smiley I don't have that one anymore, but I do have a Game Boy Color that I bought to replace it. But, I don't really play it. The Super Game Boy adapter for the SNES is one of the best inventions ever, it allows you to play Game Boy games on a SNES, or nowadays, a SNES clone. (for the HD output) When I feel a hankering for Game Boy games, I just use that. Smiley

The Super Game Boy was also handy back in the '90s, as I could hook the SNES up to the living room TV and let my mom play Tetris so I could have my Game Boy back. Wink

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »

Tetris is so addictive. My best is 232 lines. Once you get to level 20 the speed is ridiculous.

But I agree with you that Stadia will be aimed more at very occasional gamers. Casual gamers like myself and hardcore gamers will always want some kind of console.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 430

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 02:49:17 AM »

One thing they mention in the video is that not everyone around the world has great internet connection. So that would be a major factor as to how successful this will be.

^^^ this - it is both the strength and weakness of this proposal, it lives and dies by the myriad connection issues that can play it.  I will say I prefer digital copies of games, but I download to the hardrive of Ps4/Xbox so can still play offline if i so choose.  If it is pure streaming no download then this won't appeal to a fair number of console gamers imagine.

But I agree with you that Stadia will be aimed more at very occasional gamers. Casual gamers like myself and hardcore gamers will always want some kind of console.

Also agreed that this will be more likely app store games writ large.  having said that if the major titles start coming onto it at an equivalent or lower price it could do very well and siphon off semi-casual players such as myself who might play 2-3 titles a year.

There are I think lots of ways this could go, i can see it being a flop or a massive success depending on how it all works and what games/hardware is needed, also if it releases in time with the next gen of consoles (assuming there will be some LOL) or just before i think it could make a bigger dent if it carries the 'launch' titles for the PS5 etc. already.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »

I think there will be a market for both, purely depending on the titles that will be available. If you look at the popularity of a game like Fortnite, I can definitely see games like that on this new service and attracting a lot of attention. However, if developers make "console specific" titles (similar to how you currently have a few console specific games) then I don't think it will have much of an effect on casual/hardcore gamers.

I play maybe 4 or 5 new titles a year, waiting for them to come down in price before buying them used. The cost of new games on consoles is something the industry needs to look at. When Stadia launches and offers games at reasonable prices, i think that will have more of an effect on the industry more than anything else.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voDQ-Zb-WLM&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voDQ-Zb-WLM&amp;feature=share</a>

Microsoft has been work on their own streaming service since last year. It’s called Project xCloud

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »

One advantage that consoles have is that they do more than just play games. They are more akin to entertainment centres.  I use my ps4 to watch  Netflix, Prime, YouTube,  BBC iplayer as well as watch dvds/bluray. Plus I also game. Consoles are much more versatile than some people think.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: