Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 58708 times)
LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2017, 12:16:58 AM »

I think it's funny. Before Marvel Studios embarked on phase one, so many industry people were saying it was a bad idea, that Marvel were wasting their time and money because a cinematic universe could never succeed (mainly because no-one had ever conceived of it before). And now, EVERY movie studio is looking to make virtually every movie a cinematic universe.

On the one hand, I'm happy that the MCU existed, as I never thought (as a comic fan) that I would ever get to see a movie like the Avengers, GOTG, Dr Strange and Ant-Man. But on the flip side, I feel the success of the MCU has fundamentally altered Hollywood's approach to making movies.

Thoughts? Shared universes: passing fad or here to stay?

I love how revolutionary Marvel was, but I desperately miss when films were complete stories. I was shocked at the climax of JOHN WICK 2 because it was a film that actually had a character make a decision that fundamentally changed the status quo. But at the same time, with the ways movies used to be written, that would happen at the end of the second act, so it could be argued that JOHN WICK 2 is still 2/3's of a movie.

Now everything is like a giant act 1 over and over again so we can keep the wheels spinning and make the universe, but at the cost of good storytelling (like we already had enough problems getting that in the first place!).

So I dunno. I would like it if other studios actually took advantage of the shared universe model to create even more revolutionary storytelling, but it looks like nobody else has even figured out how to create one in the first place. It'll likely stay around for a while, but I hope it passes.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2017, 12:24:36 AM »

I'm not sure what the Amalgam universe is,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_Comics

I love how revolutionary Marvel was, but I desperately miss when films were complete stories. I was shocked at the climax of JOHN WICK 2 because it was a film that actually had a character make a decision that fundamentally changed the status quo. But at the same time, with the ways movies used to be written, that would happen at the end of the second act, so it could be argued that JOHN WICK 2 is still 2/3's of a movie.

Can't comment as I haven't seen Johm Wick Chapter 2 yet (lack of funds).

Now everything is like a giant act 1 over and over again so we can keep the wheels spinning and make the universe, but at the cost of good storytelling (like we already had enough problems getting that in the first place!).

So I dunno. I would like it if other studios actually took advantage of the shared universe model to create even more revolutionary storytelling, but it looks like nobody else has even figured out how to create one in the first place. It'll likely stay around for a while, but I hope it passes.
Well, following the "success" of Godzilla, the new Kong movie is a precursor to a Kong vs Godzilla movie.

I know that big budget franchise movies that are successful allow studios to take a chance of smaller original movies (such as Moonlight). I think the way the industry is going we will see more and more low budget and independent films streaming on places like Netflix first leaving the cinema for the big budget spectacles.

I do think that some studios focus too much on the "world building" and not enough on telling a good story. Look at what happened with The Amazing Spiderman 2. So concerned with setting up a Spider movie-verse that they forgot the purpose of any movie, first and foremost is to TELL A GOOD STORY. All the best effects in the world will not make a movie stand the test of time and have people wanting to rewatch it over and over again over years and decades.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2017, 02:14:08 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_Comics
Can't comment as I haven't seen Johm Wick Chapter 2 yet (lack of funds).
Well, following the "success" of Godzilla, the new Kong movie is a precursor to a Kong vs Godzilla movie.

It's super, super good despite my minor potential storytelling quibble. On par with the first.

I would actually really like to see Universal's monsters be successful. I think that's a shared universe that could work really well because there's already a history of crossovers.

I know that big budget franchise movies that are successful allow studios to take a chance of smaller original movies (such as Moonlight). I think the way the industry is going we will see more and more low budget and independent films streaming on places like Netflix first leaving the cinema for the big budget spectacles.

I don't know if MOONLIGHT is the best example. A24 (an indie distribution company) financed that entirely by themselves (their first time fully financing a production).

As far as smaller movies go, did anyone see THE JUDGE (starring RDJ) or BEFORE WE GO (directed by and starring Chris Evans)? Heck, SILENCE got straight up ignored (mostly due to bad marketing, but people still just don't care about smaller movies).

Streaming services are definitely the place to look. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA's success is astounding, and I hope other platforms choose to follow. LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP was a solid effort from Amazon Studios as well.

I do think that some studios focus too much on the "world building" and not enough on telling a good story. Look at what happened with The Amazing Spiderman 2. So concerned with setting up a Spider movie-verse that they forgot the purpose of any movie, first and foremost is to TELL A GOOD STORY. All the best effects in the world will not make a movie stand the test of time and have people wanting to rewatch it over and over again over years and decades.

Why studios often don't prioritize story:

Also, the less we talk about TASM 2 the better...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2017, 02:17:58 AM »

I'm looking for some good movies to watch over summer break. Any suggestions from the movie buffs?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2017, 02:21:37 AM »

I'm looking for some good movies to watch over summer break. Any suggestions from the movie buffs?

Major milestones/some obscure gems from the past several years:

MOONLIGHT
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
LA LA LAND
ARRIVAL
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
SICARIO
CREED
CAROL
EX MACHINA
ROOM
THE HATEFUL EIGHT
TANGERINE
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
BOYHOOD
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
WHIPLASH
THE LEGO MOVIE
NIGHTCRAWLER
SELMA
BIRDMAN (I'm not a fan but it's important)
JOHN WICK
GRAVITY
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
THE WORLD'S END
SHORT TERM 12
UPSTREAM COLOR
THE AVENGERS
LOOPER
MOONRISE KINGDOM
THE TREE OF LIFE

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2017, 02:23:02 AM »

I would actually really like to see Universal's monsters be successful. I think that's a shared universe that could work really well because there's already a history of crossovers.
I have that hope to, but considering how badly they messed up League of Extraordinary Gentleman, which was tailor made for such a shared universe. And it caused Sean Connery to retire from acting.

I don't know if MOONLIGHT is the best example. A24 (an indie distribution company) financed that entirely by themselves (their first time fully financing a production).
I just used Moonlight as an example of a movie with a low budget that could become successful. Probably should have picked a film that was actually affiliated with a big studio to make my point, but you got what I meant (I hope).

Streaming services are definitely the place to look. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA's success is astounding, and I hope other platforms choose to follow. LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP was a solid effort from Amazon Studios as well.
With Scorcese making a film for Netflix and the Max Landis written Will Smith starring David Ayer directed film being released on Netflix in December, it seems that streaming services are definitely looking to attract some serious talent to make good amazing original content.

That, and sometimes pandering too much to what they think "demographics" will like. It's a rare movie that can hit all four quadrants (for those who don't know what they four quadrants are: male/female/old/young).

Also, the less we talk about TASM 2 the better...
Indeed.

What kind of movies do you like? (as in genre)

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2017, 02:26:14 AM »

I just used Moonlight as an example of a movie with a low budget that could become successful. Probably should have picked a film that was actually affiliated with a big studio to make my point, but you got what I meant (I hope).

I do get it. I was just arguing semantics. Cheesy

I also jump at the chance to talk about A24 because they're currently my favorite studio and I'd loooooooooove to work for them.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -778

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2017, 02:26:20 AM »

With Scorcese making a film for Netflix and the Max Landis written Will Smith starring David Ayer directed film being released on Netflix in December, it seems that streaming services are definitely looking to

Max wrote Bright...makes sense

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 02:30:39 AM »

I do get it. I was just arguing semantics. Cheesy

Quickest way to be sent to the naughty step, young man!

Out of this list, the ones underlined are the ones I would suggest first. Although i think you should eventually get around to watching all of them (some I haven't underlined as I assume people will have already seen them, like GOTG and The Avengers)
Major milestones/some obscure gems from the past several years:

MOONLIGHT
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
LA LA LAND
ARRIVAL
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
SICARIO
CREED

CAROL
EX MACHINA
ROOM
THE HATEFUL EIGHT
TANGERINE
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
BOYHOOD
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
WHIPLASH
THE LEGO MOVIE
NIGHTCRAWLER
SELMA
BIRDMAN
JOHN WICK
GRAVITY
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
THE WORLD'S END

SHORT TERM 12
UPSTREAM COLOR
THE AVENGERS
LOOPER
MOONRISE KINGDOM
THE TREE OF LIFE

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2017, 02:33:37 AM »

Out of this list, the ones underlined are the ones I would suggest first. Although i think you should eventually get around to watching all of them (some I haven't underlined as I assume people will have already seen them, like GOTG and The Avengers)

Holy crap that's a really good parsing down you did there. Shocked

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2017, 02:36:47 AM »

Holy crap that's a really good parsing down you did there. Shocked
Yep. I try not to overwhelm people's decision circuits by giving them too much too soon. Sometimes less is more, plus (as Nicholas Meyers told Ricardo Montalban during the filming of Wrath of Khan), never show them your top as then they know you haven't got anywhere to go. Same when recommending movies. If you give out all your best stuff right off the bat, you don't leave yourself anyway to go when they come back asking for more stuff to watch.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »

I'm probably watching in the order of "Whatever is on Netflix and Amazon that I don't have to pay for first." Cheesy

(Sig by me!)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2017, 02:41:06 AM »

I'm probably watching in the order of "Whatever is on Netflix and Amazon that I don't have to pay for first." Cheesy
So any genres you particular like? Or don't like? (I know a few people on the forum who don't like horror).

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2017, 02:52:39 AM »

So any genres you particular like? Or don't like? (I know a few people on the forum who don't like horror).

I like all genres. My only real criteria is nothing with subtitles. Foreign films are fine, so long as I can find an English dub, or they're already filmed in English.

(Sig by me!)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2017, 02:54:56 AM »

I like all genres. My only real criteria is nothing with subtitles. Foreign films are fine, so long as I can find an English dub, or they're already filmed in English.
I'm curious. Is there a particular reason you don't like subtitles? (Always nice to understand a different point of view on such a topic)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: