Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 58620 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2017, 02:57:04 AM »

I'm curious. Is there a particular reason you don't like subtitles? (Always nice to understand a different point of view on such a topic)

They really screw with my ADHD. I get overwhelmed easily.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2017, 02:57:35 AM »

Ah. Ok. Good reason.

*edit*
It has been confirmed that Mel Gibson has entered into talks to direct Suicide Squad 2. Thoughts people?

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2017, 03:14:04 AM »

Well I just watched Suicide Squad, but I haven't seen anything directed by Gibson or him as an actor yet.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2017, 03:25:08 AM »

Ah. Ok. Good reason.

*edit*
It has been confirmed that Mel Gibson has entered into talks to direct Suicide Squad 2. Thoughts people?

That seems like an odd marriage

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2017, 03:28:03 AM »

That seems like an odd marriage
I know, right. It could be good, because Mel is a great director. I posted the following on another thread when this news was initially reported as speculation:

Here is my take. Firstly, I am going to separate the "art" from the "artist". We all know about the trouble he went through a few years ago. However, when you put that to one side, Mel Gibson the director has made some damn fine movies (Apocalypto, Braveheart, Hacksaw Ridge, The Passion of the Christ). So, as a director, he has the skills to make a good movie. The deciding factor will be Warner Bros and how much they are going to interfere during the creative process.

Look at the Ben Affleck situaiton; a talented director who has made an Oscar winning movie and WB execs suffering from 'too many cooks" syndrome have made him step down from directing the Batman. David Ayer who directed Suicide Squad didn't even edit most of the theatrical released movie (a movie trailer editing company made the final cut of the movie). David Ayer was micro-managed and bullied during the film making process and we saw what the end product was. I think this is because of the "too many cooks" syndrome currently prevalent at WB with their comic book movies.

Some people will say that Mel is wrong because he is not a "comic book" person. Let us remember that neither was Christopher Nolan. Nolan has gone on record stating he was never a fan of comic books and superheroes. However, back then WB let Nolan make the movies the way he wanted.

So, would Mel be able to make a good Suicide Squad movie? Yes. Will WB allow Mel to make the movie he wants to make? Given their current track record, I would say no. They will interfere and not learn from their mistakes. However, given the way things seem to be over at WB right now with their superhero movies, I would be very surprised it Mel signed on (unless he was guaranteed final cut of the film).

Since then, WB has confirmed Matt Reeves as the new director on the Batman standalone movie, despite reports of them angrily storming away from the table during negotiations. It is definitely a leftfield choice for director, however, let us not forget that even though Mel has been quite vocal about his dislike of comic book movies, one of his close friends is director George Miller, who almost directed Justice League Dark a few years (before the studio pulled the plus on that idea). I think maybe George spoke to Mel about comic book movies and convinced him to at least talk to WB. Also, Mel has worked with WB for many many years, so already knows how they work. And, more importantly, they know how Mel works. So, maybe the situation that happened on the first Suicide Squad won't happen this time, if Mel comes onboard.

I'll be following this with interest.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -778

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2017, 03:29:59 AM »

Well I just watched Suicide Squad, but I haven't seen anything directed by Gibson or him as an actor yet.

...well you need to remedy that then. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2017, 03:35:52 AM »

...well you need to remedy that then. 
Indeed he does. Best Mel Gibson movies for a youngling (who loves action) to start with?

I'm thinking Lethal Weapon, Mad Max 2, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome and Payback

In terms of films Mel has directed: it's got to be BRAVEHEART!

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2017, 03:39:15 AM »

I know, right. It could be good, because Mel is a great director. I posted the following on another thread when this news was initially reported as speculation:

Here is my take. Firstly, I am going to separate the "art" from the "artist". We all know about the trouble he went through a few years ago. However, when you put that to one side, Mel Gibson the director has made some damn fine movies (Apocalypto, Braveheart, Hacksaw Ridge, The Passion of the Christ). So, as a director, he has the skills to make a good movie. The deciding factor will be Warner Bros and how much they are going to interfere during the creative process.

Look at the Ben Affleck situaiton; a talented director who has made an Oscar winning movie and WB execs suffering from 'too many cooks" syndrome have made him step down from directing the Batman. David Ayer who directed Suicide Squad didn't even edit most of the theatrical released movie (a movie trailer editing company made the final cut of the movie). David Ayer was micro-managed and bullied during the film making process and we saw what the end product was. I think this is because of the "too many cooks" syndrome currently prevalent at WB with their comic book movies.

Some people will say that Mel is wrong because he is not a "comic book" person. Let us remember that neither was Christopher Nolan. Nolan has gone on record stating he was never a fan of comic books and superheroes. However, back then WB let Nolan make the movies the way he wanted.

So, would Mel be able to make a good Suicide Squad movie? Yes. Will WB allow Mel to make the movie he wants to make? Given their current track record, I would say no. They will interfere and not learn from their mistakes. However, given the way things seem to be over at WB right now with their superhero movies, I would be very surprised it Mel signed on (unless he was guaranteed final cut of the film).

That being said, if they give him the Nolan treatment, could be interesting, but I just don't see it happening. The styles, odd. I'm kinda dumbfounded. What the hell are they doing over there?? Like they're hiring big names, but not the right moves. I don't know. I need to stew on this more. I'm a DC fan more. This is frustrating, cuz I just don't know. Zach Snyder was supposed to do wonders but good God, it's a comedy of errors over there

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2017, 03:43:40 AM »

That being said, if they give him the Nolan treatment, could be interesting, but I just don't see it happening. The styles, odd. I'm kinda dumbfounded. What the hell are they doing over there?? Like they're hiring big names, but not the right moves. I don't know. I need to stew on this more. I'm a DC fan more. This is frustrating, cuz I just don't know. Zach Snyder was supposed to do wonders but good God, it's a comedy of errors over there
For all the criticisms that Zack Synder receives (not from me, just in general) I will say this, his movies always look AMAZING! As a visual storyteller/cinematographer, his sh*t is on point (Watchmen, 300, Sucker Punch). His major weakness is the actual storytelling. I think if they keep Zack on to focus on the visuals, and then let other people direct and work on the stories, DC might make some great movies.

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2017, 03:54:59 AM »

For all the criticisms that Zack Synder receives (not from me, just in general) I will say this, his movies always look AMAZING! As a visual storyteller/cinematographer, his sh*t is on point (Watchmen, 300, Sucker Punch). His major weakness is the actual storytelling. I think if they keep Zack on to focus on the visuals, and then let other people direct and work on the stories, DC might make some great movies.

Zack's true calling is as a DP.

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2017, 04:00:46 AM »

Zack's true calling is as a DP.
Definitely. You can't fault his eye for visuals.

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2017, 04:51:26 AM »

Yeah no doubt. The optics are amazing in his films. I liked Suckerpunch

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »

Yeah no doubt. The optics are amazing in his films. I liked Suckerpunch
It's not the greatest movie ever and has been heavily criticised for it's overall sexist and misogynistic undertones. Despite all that though, the settings for each battle "sequence" is pure imagination brilliance, which reinforces my assertion that Zack Synder should focus on being a director of photography.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -778

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »

It's not the greatest movie ever and has been heavily criticised for it's overall sexist and misogynistic undertones. Despite all that though, the settings for each battle "sequence" is pure imagination brilliance, which reinforces my assertion that Zack Synder should focus on being a director of photography.

Truer words have never been spoken

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »

Truer words have never been spoken
Giving you a point, partly for the comment and partly to bring you up to 200.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: