Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: The Movie Chat Thread  (Read 58483 times)
Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »

I'll use the same style as Knox. Highlights for pics, underline for curious.

Haven't watched the rest of the X-Men movies, so Logan isn't on there. Same with F8. Haven't finished all the other Transformer movies, so that'll be in the same boat.

Oops, I missed Despicable Me 3. I think that falls in my blue category.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2067

Lord of the Force

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »

What are your thoughts on the current state and direction of the DCEU?

This is a very hot topic. But personally, I think that they might be making too big a deal out of issues with The Flash and Ben leaving Batman. With the announcement of Nightwing, I am starting to get more scared that Ben might actually decide to do it. Still hoping he won't though. As for the movies, I am and always have been more of a Marvelite, but I still enjoy them. MoS gave us (IMO) the perfect Superman, and BvS gave us an almost as good as the Animated Batman Batman. It also gave us Wonder Woman. I haven't yet watched SS, so I can't comment on that. However, I am really looking forward to WW and JL, and I can't wait to see where they take us. Again, this is all just my opinion. I do have a DC fan friend who thinks about the same as me. He likes DCEU better then MCU, but on whether or not everything will work out, we think the same.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 46

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 07:15:30 AM »

Oops, I missed Despicable Me 3. I think that falls in my blue category.

My sister played the first DESPICABLE ME on repeat when it was first released, so now I can't handle anything even remotely related to it anymore. Cry

I like movies, Spider-Man, and lightsabers.

That's about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My username and avatar may be of a villain, but I like Light Side points.

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »

Is there another movie with a larger collection of iconic lines? Grin

a bit late to comment but I do work 10+hr shifts still.

a swarm of one liners goes to Evil Dead/ Army of Darkness.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »

One of the down sides of staying up so late is your flatmates making noise as they get up to get ready for work. No chance of getting to sleep right now, so may as well chat a bit more till they've buggered off.

Reboot in 10 years.
You mean abandon all current plans, wait 10 years and then reboot it or that it will be rebooted in 10 years time regardless of whatever is released right now?

This is a very hot topic.
Hence me asking it. Those topics always make for the best conversations.

But personally, I think that they might be making too big a deal out of issues with The Flash and Ben leaving Batman. With the announcement of Nightwing, I am starting to get more scared that Ben might actually decide to do it. Still hoping he won't though. As for the movies, I am and always have been more of a Marvelite, but I still enjoy them. MoS gave us (IMO) the perfect Superman, and BvS gave us an almost as good as the Animated Batman Batman. It also gave us Wonder Woman. I haven't yet watched SS, so I can't comment on that. However, I am really looking forward to WW and JL, and I can't wait to see where they take us. Again, this is all just my opinion. I do have a DC fan friend who thinks about the same as me. He likes DCEU better then MCU, but on whether or not everything will work out, we think the same.
I should begin by saying that I am fan of good comic book movies, regardless who makes them. Good CBM benefit the entire genre as the general movie going public would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Marvel character and a DC character.

The DCEU is (currently) coming across as a big disorganised mess, beyond the upcoming Wonder Woman and Justice League movies, mainly because those two movies have already finished filming. Good or bad, justified or not, all the moving around of directors on The Flash, all the gossip around whether Batfleck is staying or going and all the problems with the script to the movie just does not inspire confidence that the DCEU is a franchise that will produce good movies.

It's fair to say that Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad have been massively divisive with critics and fans. There hasn't been one solid bonafide hit yet, although I feel and hope that Wonder Woman will be the one that is. Amongst the many apparent problems (that we know of) at WB/DC is the "too many cooks" syndrome and no clear end game to aim towards. Unfair as it may be to compare the MCU (which has been going almost 10 years) to the fledgling DCEU, Marvel throughout their various phases has always had a plan. Phase 1 end game was The Avengers team-up with all the preceding movies building towards that. Phase 2 and Phase 3 have all been building towards Thanos and the infinity gauntlet.

Don't get me wrong, not every MCU movie has been wonderful and amazing. But even the "worst" ones have still been enjoyable and for the most part, the audience have forgiven any missteps as the overall package has a clear sense of building towards something. WB/DC do not currently have that. They have announced FIFTEEN movies that are supposed to be coming out over the next FIVE years. Marvel has only recently committed to making three movies a year after laying a solid foundation. DC, it seems, are jumping in the deep end straight away.

As I have said on many other threads, the MCU has one clear voice and vision guiding the ship (our Lord and Saviour Kevin Feige). WB/DC has a committee, with far too many people giving input and contributing to every film. Back in the day they allowed Nolan to do his thing with his Bat-trilogy and those movies were successful. If reports are to be belived, they then decided to convert those movies into a franchise and the hope was that the Green Lantern movie would tie-in and expand the franchise. But, as we all know GL flopped. Then they made MoS and late in the game decided that this was the beginning of their new DCEU.

At this point, not only are we getting an over-abundance of Bat characters (Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens etc) but poor Henry Cavill's Superman is dead and even though *spoiler alert* we know he'll be coming back to life in the Justice League movie, he still has no standalone sequel to MoS planned. I wouldn't be surprised if Henry Cavill also exited the role as they have yet to give him something meaty to get his teeth into as Kal-El.

All-in-all, the DCEU is approaching the edge of the cliff. If they aren't careful they'll go over, crash and burn. However they still have (a little) time to steer away from impending doom.

My sister played the first DESPICABLE ME on repeat when it was first released, so now I can't handle anything even remotely related to it anymore. Cry
Does that include Pharrell's song "Happy"?

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »

By the way, check out some new trailers that dropped yesterday:

Final trailer for Kong: Skull Island
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34307.0

First trailer for Bright (starring Will Smith, written by Max Landies, directed by David Ayer, being released on Netflix in December)
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34310.0

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »

a bit late to comment but I do work 10+hr shifts still.

a swarm of one liners goes to Evil Dead/ Army of Darkness.

"Yo! She-b*tch! Let's go!"

No points, just fist bumps baby!

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »

You mean abandon all current plans, wait 10 years and then reboot it or that it will be rebooted in 10 years time regardless of whatever is released right now?

Yes. It's not a practical business decision because they're still making a decent amount of money, but dropping everything then waiting 10 years to start again (with a plan in place) would make me happy. By this time, hopefully Marvel will die down a bit too, so there will be space for DC to jump in and become the new big thing.

Yes. Cry

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »

Yes. It's not a practical business decision because they're still making a decent amount of money, but dropping everything then waiting 10 years to start again (with a plan in place) would make me happy. By this time, hopefully Marvel will die down a bit too, so there will be space for DC to jump in and become the new big thing.
I hear what your saying, but I think 10 years would be a bit too long. Maybe wait 5? And use that time to have a proper plan in place, one that you will stick to; don't be reactionary according to reception of the movies you release.

And, as I said in my mini-essay (sorry for droning on that long), have an end game in sight as a reason to be making these movies and make sure each movie is a stepping stone towards that. Problem is, Thanos is Marvel's version of Darkseid, so they'll have to do him phenomenally well in order not to be seen to be copying Marvel (even though in publishing terms I think Darkseid came first).

LivingBrain
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2017, 11:27:55 PM »

I hear what your saying, but I think 10 years would be a bit too long. Maybe wait 5? And use that time to have a proper plan in place, one that you will stick to; don't be reactionary according to reception of the movies you release.

And, as I said in my mini-essay (sorry for droning on that long), have an end game in sight as a reason to be making these movies and make sure each movie is a stepping stone towards that. Problem is, Thanos is Marvel's version of Darkseid, so they'll have to do him phenomenally well in order not to be seen to be copying Marvel (even though in publishing terms I think Darkseid came first).

Well I just want 10 because I don't want too much superhero saturation. Cheesy

A break in general is just what I think would be good. Reactionary plans are rarely good, especially with a massive undertaking like building a cinematic universe.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »

I should begin by saying that I am fan of good comic book movies, regardless who makes them. Good CBM benefit the entire genre as the general movie going public would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Marvel character and a DC character.

The DCEU is (currently) coming across as a big disorganised mess, beyond the upcoming Wonder Woman and Justice League movies, mainly because those two movies have already finished filming. Good or bad, justified or not, all the moving around of directors on The Flash, all the gossip around whether Batfleck is staying or going and all the problems with the script to the movie just does not inspire confidence that the DCEU is a franchise that will produce good movies.

It's fair to say that Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad have been massively divisive with critics and fans. There hasn't been one solid bonafide hit yet, although I feel and hope that Wonder Woman will be the one that is. Amongst the many apparent problems (that we know of) at WB/DC is the "too many cooks" syndrome and no clear end game to aim towards. Unfair as it may be to compare the MCU (which has been going almost 10 years) to the fledgling DCEU, Marvel throughout their various phases has always had a plan. Phase 1 end game was The Avengers team-up with all the preceding movies building towards that. Phase 2 and Phase 3 have all been building towards Thanos and the infinity gauntlet.

Don't get me wrong, not every MCU movie has been wonderful and amazing. But even the "worst" ones have still been enjoyable and for the most part, the audience have forgiven any missteps as the overall package has a clear sense of building towards something. WB/DC do not currently have that. They have announced FIFTEEN movies that are supposed to be coming out over the next FIVE years. Marvel has only recently committed to making three movies a year after laying a solid foundation. DC, it seems, are jumping in the deep end straight away.

As I have said on many other threads, the MCU has one clear voice and vision guiding the ship (our Lord and Saviour Kevin Feige). WB/DC has a committee, with far too many people giving input and contributing to every film. Back in the day they allowed Nolan to do his thing with his Bat-trilogy and those movies were successful. If reports are to be belived, they then decided to convert those movies into a franchise and the hope was that the Green Lantern movie would tie-in and expand the franchise. But, as we all know GL flopped. Then they made MoS and late in the game decided that this was the beginning of their new DCEU.

At this point, not only are we getting an over-abundance of Bat characters (Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens etc) but poor Henry Cavill's Superman is dead and even though *spoiler alert* we know he'll be coming back to life in the Justice League movie, he still has no standalone sequel to MoS planned. I wouldn't be surprised if Henry Cavill also exited the role as they have yet to give him something meaty to get his teeth into as Kal-El.

All-in-all, the DCEU is approaching the edge of the cliff. If they aren't careful they'll go over, crash and burn. However they still have (a little) time to steer away from impending doom.

I can't disagree with you on these points, because they are all true. However, I still have high hopes for the DCEU, and I don't think we have as much to worry about as everybody says. The worst that can happen if they have all the movies is that people will not necessarily want to watch them all in theaters. They will still watch them though.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2017, 11:35:12 PM »

I can't disagree with you on these points, because they are all true. However, I still have high hopes for the DCEU, and I don't think we have as much to worry about as everybody says. The worst that can happen if they have all the movies is that people will not necessarily want to watch them all in theaters. They will still watch them though.
Actually, there is good reason to be fearful. When Superman iV came out it destroyed that early attempt of bringing CBM to the screen. When Batman & Robin came out, it destroyed the second attempt of bringing CBM to the screen. My point is, successively putting out divisive/bad movies will eventually damage the genre as a whole.

Well I just want 10 because I don't want too much superhero saturation. Cheesy

A break in general is just what I think would be good. Reactionary plans are rarely good, especially with a massive undertaking like building a cinematic universe.
I think it's funny. Before Marvel Studios embarked on phase one, so many industry people were saying it was a bad idea, that Marvel were wasting their time and money because a cinematic universe could never succeed (mainly because no-one had ever conceived of it before). And now, EVERY movie studio is looking to make virtually every movie a cinematic universe.

On the one hand, I'm happy that the MCU existed, as I never thought (as a comic fan) that I would ever get to see a movie like the Avengers, GOTG, Dr Strange and Ant-Man. But on the flip side, I feel the success of the MCU has fundamentally altered Hollywood's approach to making movies.

Thoughts? Shared universes: passing fad or here to stay?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »

Actually, there is good reason to be fearful. When Superman iV came out it destroyed that early attempt of bringing CBM to the screen. When Batman & Robin came out, it destroyed the second attempt of bringing CBM to the screen. My point is, successively putting out divisive/bad movies will eventually damage the genre as a whole.

I guess we'll see.

I think it's funny. Before Marvel Studios embarked on phase one, so many industry people were saying it was a bad idea, that Marvel were wasting their time and money because a cinematic universe could never succeed (mainly because no-one had ever conceived of it before). And now, EVERY movie studio is looking to make virtually every movie a cinematic universe.

On the one hand, I'm happy that the MCU existed, as I never thought (as a comic fan) that I would ever get to see a movie like the Avengers, GOTG, Dr Strange and Ant-Man. But on the flip side, I feel the success of the MCU has fundamentally altered Hollywood's approach to making movies.

Thoughts? Shared universes: passing fad or here to stay?

I think the cinematic universes will eventually die out. Might be a while, but they will end. What I really want to see is a MCU/DCEU crossover movie. And I want to see it with the actors they have now. Probably wont happen though.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2017, 12:01:41 AM »

What I really want to see is a MCU/DCEU crossover movie. And I want to see it with the actors they have now. Probably wont happen though.
A versus movie or the cinematic adaptation of the Amalgam universe?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2017, 12:11:29 AM »

A versus movie or the cinematic adaptation of the Amalgam universe?

I'm not sure what the Amalgam universe is, but I just want to see Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, and Gal Gadot as their superheroes in a movie with Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson as their superheroes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: