Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Howwwwwdyyyyy Hooooooooo!!!  (Read 6854 times)
Faith Caine
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 102

Light side points, please.

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 07:30:35 PM »

Greetings and welcome to the saber forum nut house. As others have already stated, we love pics and vids of others sabers. As for practicing spinning, I've used both a broom handle and my softball bat. Start slow so the movements come more naturally to you and as you get better, the speed will follow. The wait for your first saber can seem like an eternity, I know because I'm waiting for my second saber to arrive.

"This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. " Obi-Wan Kenobi

Armory:
Aeon LE v4 in Guardian Blue Upgraded to Obsidian LITE Sound W/ FoC in Silver
Catalyst in DVA
Arbiter in GB Obs v4
Apprentice LE v4 in FO
Dark Liberator v3 in Tri-FO

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 11:22:29 PM »

The two saber combat forums have a lot of good information, both for learning spins and fancy stuff, as well as practical combat techniques.

Look up TPLA on Facebook and YouTube for a great place to start for combat.  They are NOT the only ones out there you can learn from, and I encourage you to learn from as much as you can, but they are my personal preferred starting place. Two others are Bendu and Ludosport.

For spins, go to the saber artistry forum and just search for Darth Cephalus.  He's got a lot of very, very good video tutorials.  He's in the process of redoing some of them, but what's there currently is exceptionally useful.  Again, he's not the only person to learn from, but he's my preferred place to start.

To answer your question regarding how long it took me to learn to wield a Lightsaber with some skill, I had an unfair head start with a background in Kenjutsu.  There are some very big differences between a Lightsaber and a sword, mostly that the entire surface of the Lightsaber blade can cut, so you can be much more sloppy with a Lightsaber than a sword in that regard.  In fact, that was something I had an issue with at one point, all of my Lightsaber practice had made my sword cuts sloppy.  I had to go back and practice with the sword exclusively for 6 months or so to get back into proper form.

So, I could already use a Lightsaber with some skill when I first got mine.  So, to answer your question, it depends on what you define as "some skill."  Are you looking more for combat, or for spinning?

For combat... my personal view would be at least a couple of years.

For spins... my personal view would be, depending on how complex you're looking to go, 6 months to a year.  

But I have high standards for what I consider skilled.  I know there have been people who have mastered spins in weeks or even days.  I don't know how much time they put into it, but it's certainly possible.

My best advice for whatever you choose to study is always start at the beginning, with the most basic, easiest techniques and gain a firm mastery of those before moving on.  Too many people want to jump ahead to the advanced "cool" stuff, and it tends to not work very well.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -24

Fear The Dizzy Side Of The Force...

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 12:18:48 AM »

Wow, thanks again guys for your advice and welcoming me.  You guys are truly cool cats, and I appreciate all of the feedback.  For those of you who have offered me advice on handling a saber, I only want to spin (at this moment) and get a true feel for the saber itself.  I'd like to commit to a year of handling this blade - I've seen a lot of videos and so forth, and once I get my saber (and post pics of it or a vid on YT), I'll begin that stuff immediately.  I have considered that it is best to learn how to wield this thing of beauty on the grass instead of the street, so I don't drop my new baby and damage/scar/scratch it.

I'll jump into a different thread now, I hope to contribute as well as learn.

Thanks again for everything guys, this is an awesome community, and I cannot wait to get my saber!

DDV

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 04:22:53 AM »

You guys are truly cool cats,

I'm not allergic to myself!!  Roll Eyes    Wink

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »

I'm not allergic to myself!!  Roll Eyes    Wink

We'll find out!!!   Wink

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »

Welcome, Dizzy! A Guardian is an excellent choice for your first 'sabre - I'm confident you'll love it.

One thing I'd suggest with practicing is not to get too hung up on any specific move. While in the ideal you'd want to be able to chain together moves and flourishes, in reality you may find your body objecting to certain things!

I do a little spinning, and while by no means very good, I can do the basic forward spin for ages, but with the backward spin I always end up whacking my own head after a few goes Cheesy Being prepared to work hard at it is good, but remember you're there to have fun - if it stops being fun, you can end up with a $550 ornament really quickly, and no-one wants that!

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »

Welcome, Dizzy! A Guardian is an excellent choice for your first 'sabre - I'm confident you'll love it.

One thing I'd suggest with practicing is not to get too hung up on any specific move. While in the ideal you'd want to be able to chain together moves and flourishes, in reality you may find your body objecting to certain things!

I do a little spinning, and while by no means very good, I can do the basic forward spin for ages, but with the backward spin I always end up whacking my own head after a few goes Cheesy Being prepared to work hard at it is good, but remember you're there to have fun - if it stops being fun, you can end up with a $550 ornament really quickly, and no-one wants that!

Point VERY WELL TAKEN.  Yeah, I bought a bow a few years back, cost me over $1,000.  It has been an "ornament" for almost all of the time I have owned it.  Too bad, it's a damn good bow (Hoyt Carbon Spider Turbo).

Very good advice.  Yes, I know that practice should be slow and develop both my rhythm and beat, so I will take it slowly, and not-so-seriously so as to have fun learning how to master these kinds of moves.  Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

What kind of saber do you own?  

- Dizzy

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »

We'll find out!!!   Wink

I'm not! Honest!      Tongue Tongue Tongue

What kind of saber do you own? 

Take a look at his signature.  Smiley

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »

Welcome Dizzy.. think you'll fit right in here!

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »

Hey there, Dizzy - very cool forum name! I think it's fantastic you did all that research and settled on UltraSabers. Like has been said already, I love your enthusiasm, and you chose wisely indeed with the Guardian and will soon see for yourself.  Wink  I just received my Guardian in Dark Violet Amethyst, and without hesitation I can say it is one of UltraSabers' finest creations indeed. It's fantastic, and if you don't mind spending an extra $35, I highly recommend the Nickel Finish upgrade on it. Personally, I love it to death and opt for that finish on every UltraSabers hilt I buy, when it's available. A couple of my UltraSabers hilts have the Emerald Driver, and it truly is the Rolls Royce of lightsaber goodness. The color range is phenomenal.  Hope you'll share a review video and/or pictures when you get it, and especially hope you feel welcome here. It's a great community here.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 02:19:09 AM »

I'm not! Honest!      Tongue Tongue Tongue

Take a look at his signature.  Smiley

Holy SMURFS!!!

Dizzy Darth Vizzy
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 02:32:03 AM »

Welcome Dizzy.. think you'll fit right in here!

Hey there, Dizzy - very cool forum name! I think it's fantastic you did all that research and settled on UltraSabers. Like has been said already, I love your enthusiasm, and you chose wisely indeed with the Guardian and will soon see for yourself.  Wink  I just received my Guardian in Dark Violet Amethyst, and without hesitation I can say it is one of UltraSabers' finest creations indeed. It's fantastic, and if you don't mind spending an extra $35, I highly recommend the Nickel Finish upgrade on it. Personally, I love it to death and opt for that finish on every UltraSabers hilt I buy, when it's available. A couple of my UltraSabers hilts have the Emerald Driver, and it truly is the Rolls Royce of lightsaber goodness. The color range is phenomenal.  Hope you'll share a review video and/or pictures when you get it, and especially hope you feel welcome here. It's a great community here.

WOW!!! So glad to be a member of this forum.

Question guys - I've found a PHENOMINAL lightsaber stand, it's the stand to end all stands.  Totally Star Wars, through and through.  Problem is it's very expensive.  Worth it?  Yes, but the question is, I have to buy it before I even get to purchase my Guardian.  I'd show a pic or name it, but I feel that if I did that, somebody would snap it up before me.  What better to compliment your saber than the perfect stand?

SHOW US YOUR LIGHTSABER STANDS!!!  ( I think I'll start a thread for that...)

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 03:04:38 AM »

Question guys - I've found a PHENOMINAL lightsaber stand, it's the stand to end all stands.  Totally Star Wars, through and through.  Problem is it's very expensive.  Worth it?  Yes, but the question is, I have to buy it before I even get to purchase my Guardian.  I'd show a pic or name it, but I feel that if I did that, somebody would snap it up before me.  What better to compliment your saber than the perfect stand?

SHOW US YOUR LIGHTSABER STANDS!!!  ( I think I'll start a thread for that...)
I'd say it's worth it.  Looking for a good one myself right now.  UltraSabers should be proudly displayed in a stand befitting and worthy of them.   Wink

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 04:19:54 AM »

SHOW US YOUR LIGHTSABER STANDS!!!  ( I think I'll start a thread for that...)

Just an FYI in case you don't know, US does make stands.  Smiley

Corwyn VonBeck
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -340

Grey Knight

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »

Just an FYI in case you don't know, US does make stands.  Smiley

I always thought Siths made pretty good display stands.... have to change them out regularly though, as they do start to smell after a while...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: