Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rogue one.  (Read 5864 times)
Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 08:15:04 AM »

Just out of morbid curiosity, how old are you? I only ask because their may be a generational gap between our views.

I'll give you a minute to correct your mistake. Wink

I've also given credit to the notion that part of the character of Kenobi developed in the prequels & TCW to be cheeky. Almost a Jedi form of Don Mach. Calling him Darth irreverently may have been a dig. But I really just think the everyone thought Vader's first name was Darth. Similar to how speculation has begun to appear questioning if Kylo is a name or title.

There is no mistake, only perfection in arguments ....

Just because someone addressed Vader as Darth (for the first time they ever met in a long time), therefore implies there was no Sith and no Force sensitive Emperor? The reasoning is not compelling. What's does that have to do "generation gap"?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2776

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »

Vader and Palpatine in episode 4. Episode 1 had Maul.

I was a child of the first three films. I never really thought about Darth as name or a title, exclusively. I suppose everyone referred to him as Darth or Vader or Darth Vader, but I didn't fully realize Darth was specifically a surname until Darth Maul. Thus, I was uncomfortable when Kylo Ren came along without Darth. I had to read about the Knights of Ren. So, is he even a Sith? Now, I'm getting more into the books and more details than what I learned from KOTOR, the game.

We lose ideology, I think, with all our forms and stages of Sith and Jedi and grey Jedi and so on. Knights doesn't fit Sith as seen before with the dark side representing power hungry evil.

I too am a child of the OT, and a student of the history of the Original Canon. Darth wasn't so much a surname as title. But I had always attributed it as Vader's first name until I was introduced to Darths Sidious and Maul in TPM. After that did I realize it was a Sith title. I had initially thought it was a contraction of "Dark Lord of the Sith". I've forgotten what the etymology of it is but it was derived from the Sith word Dar'ta (or something along those lines).

From what I've gathered of the NC, the KoR are not Sith by a long shot. And what little I've seen of the pack, Kylo may or may not be the only Force adept among them. If he's not, then I would suspect that the dark boy band is more akin to the Inqs, just a bunch of DS thugs. Considering how much of the Empire's resources that fell into the FO's hands, I'm surprised that all of Sidious' Sith artifacts didn't become the focus of the group, and therefore reestablish a Sith Order. But Disney has to be "edgy".

There is no mistake, only perfection in arguments ....

As OWK already pointed out, Vader didn't exist in Ep. 1. And perfect arguments are called "explanations". Tongue But to those that weren't steeped in the EU, that was the first use of Darth on that level.

Just because someone addressed Vader as Darth (for the first time they ever met in a long time), therefore implies there was no Sith and no Force sensitive Emperor? The reasoning is not compelling. What's does that have to do "generation gap"?

A generation gap might explain a difference in thought process. If you've spent the bulk of your life knowing the prequels, your logic would be sound. I spent the first half of my life only knowing the OT. Darth only applied to Vader.

Let's run down my logic behind this assumption.

If I introduced myself as Mason Longcor, would you assume Mason is my title or my first name?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »

I'm not really excited about "Rogue One" or any of these little side-story movies, honestly.  I would much rather have the focus on Episodes 7-9 and none of this side-story nonsense.   I'll go see "Rogue One" because its Star Wars and there might be Vader, but that's really the only reason.  Kinda don't care about the rest.   Tongue

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 04:49:12 PM »

Rogue One feels like a let down so far. I bet it won't live up to it. The Death Star scene looks awesome and I guess those would be the best parts - the direct link with Episode 4 where Darth Vader was a Sith chasing them all over.

The new characters in the dessert are just that, a story on its own.

Let's run down my logic behind this assumption.

If I introduced myself as Mason Longcor, would you assume Mason is my title or my first name?

Sorry, it has nothing to do with generation gap. It's about reasoning something through in its context. Now with the "Mason Longcor" example, it is flawed because that has nothing to do with Star Wars: I never tried to kill you decades before now and then we meet again for the first time in a final duel acknowledging that you turned to the enemy's side.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:02:09 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »

I'm personally excited about Rogue One, and the release schedule they have planned.  Five movies in Five years, as opposed to three movies in six years.  Star Wars takes place in a massive galaxy and there are lots of stories out there to be told.  We don't only need to focus on the Skywalker family, in my opinion.

Though, I'm wanting them to do an Old Republic era film.  Imagine a film done back when the Jedi and Sith were legion, fighting huge battles of not only standard troops, but also of Force and lightsaber wielding combatants.  I would love to see that.  They could do a series of movies set in that era.

I would much rather have the focus on Episodes 7-9 and none of this side-story nonsense.

This is Disney we're talking about.  If it's even remotely exploitable, they will exploit it.  Besides, they paid over $4 billion to Lucas for all things LucasFilm, including Star Wars.  They want a return on their investment.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: