Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Raven blades  (Read 2603 times)
Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -201

dark side points

« on: January 14, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »

hi all you saber fans. I just ordered my first saber: the dark apprentice v4 and it is magnificent.
Now i'm considering on getting a Raven. I'm wondering what is a good blade length for it. Any suggestions?
thank you.

Only in darkness can one see the true light.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:09:09 PM »

I don't know the Raven except by reputation, but it is a long hilt with long claws.  This is a great two-handed hilt and it just begs for a 40" blade, 36" at the very least.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »

Depends a lot on what you're doing with it, I think.  I don't think the answer changes all that much by hilt.

Display: yeah, 40" would probably look sweet.

Dueling: I'd go with 36" at most.  32" might be short, but if you've got a Raven, I agree, go for a two-handed style and try to claim All The Range.  If someone gets inside your range, you're totally screwed, but whatever, chop them to ribbons before they get there.  Smiley

Cosplay: I opt for short blades (sometimes as short as 24"), because 1, that means I can hang it off my hip and not drag it on the ground; 2, if I pose for photos, I'm not going to stab someone's eyet out; 3, similarly for photos, with a short blade, the whole blade is in the photo.  This takes a bit of practice in the mirror prepping your poses: what looks good with your costume and a Raven?  Normally with a single-handed hilt, I might opt for R foot back; L foot forward; L hand forward and around hip height; R hand holding the hilt, tip down, blade angled across my body.  With something like the Raven, I might use a Conan pose: a 3/4 pose, two handed grip just above my L shoulder, blade pointing straight down.  If it's a full-body photo, you want a longer blade (but man, that's going to be annoying to carry around); if it's a waist-up shot, then a shorter blade will suffice.

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »

Good points.  If you're going to primarily use this to duel, you really need to get a blade length that goes with your style.   I'm a big guy but I am also a knife-fighter.  Its the real reason I prefer to wield a staff - the saber staff is a close-quarters weapon and deadliest when you get in tight.  Especially in combination with hand/foot strikes and (cosplay) force attacks.  When I duel single-blade I use a 32" HG blade, same blades I use in my staff.  Its just a lot faster and better for close-range.

Of course, my daughter usually tears me up anyway, but she's working on her own version of Form VII and is VERY nasty...  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

BiannualPoet
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 04:54:53 PM »

I've got a 36" blade in mine. It does seem to balance it decently. Like Thanamira said, what you plan on doing with the saber should influence the blade length. I will also point out that the hilt is fairly heavy, especially compared with your Dark Apprentice. Karmack makes a good point too.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 04:55:12 PM »

All I own right now is the Dominix with a 36" blade, and it seems a tad too long over all. I ordered a dark prophecy with a 36" blade as well to see if I feel the same way with a shorter hilt. If so, I'm gonna go with a 32" with the rest

For reference, I'm 6'0

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

dark side points

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »

thanks all for your opinions and scenario details
i will take all your thoughts in consideration but it still might be a while before i actually buy it
till then im open for more suggestions

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 06:27:06 PM »

Buy both a 36" and a 32" blade with your saber

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »

What is your intention for this saber and are you thinking about getting the standard length or the super sith ( SS ) longer claws ?  It's a long heavier saber and it is quite the opposite of the Apprentice that you presently own.  You will get a workout with this one.  Personally I would not duel with anyone that has this saber as any of the 3 claws can do some damage upon contact.  A blade length of 36 " should be good to make it more useable on a Raven with the shortest claws.   Smiley

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

dark side points

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »

What is your intention for this saber and are you thinking about getting the standard length or the super sith ( SS ) longer claws ?  It's a long heavier saber and it is quite the opposite of the Apprentice that you presently own.  You will get a workout with this one.  Personally I would not duel with anyone that has this saber as any of the 3 claws can do some damage upon contact.  A blade length of 36 " should be good to make it more useable on a Raven with the shortest claws.   Smiley

my intention is basically solo playing (swinging/twirling). i decided on regular claws.

Thanamira
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 144

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »

In that case, I like DarthScrub's idea: get an extra blade, one 32" and one 36".

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
www.bostonlightsaber.com

Light side points appreciated!
Thanamira school of staff aesthetic preference: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32415.msg492503#msg492503

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:10:03 PM »

There are so many other sabers that would be a much better choice for how you want to use it, but of course it is your choice.  Hopefully you have built up especially some torso and upper body strength.  This is not a saber for speed but should help you with directional accuracy, because you will at least initially have to concentrate upon proper positional alignment.  This includes both body and saber positioning to avoid undue stress and strain.   

If you already are involved in a martial arts or have a higher level of physical fitness then have fun when you get it.  For sure the Raven has a don't mess with me beauty.   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:15:59 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 07:36:41 PM »

D7 which sabers would you recommend for spinning?

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

dark side points

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 01:14:38 AM »

well i have reached a decision. im going with a 36" blade.
i wont be going with 40" or buying an extra 32" due to money issues
im aware this will be a hefty hilt and wont be easy to wield but ill manage
ill be waiting patiently for stocks to come back
thank you everyone who read and posted their opinions/advice
nice to know US isnt the only place to get good help
and thanks US for your products and for this forum

Rogu3Wo1f
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 25

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 03:07:37 AM »

well i have reached a decision. im going with a 36" blade.
i wont be going with 40" or buying an extra 32" due to money issues
im aware this will be a hefty hilt and wont be easy to wield but ill manage
ill be waiting patiently for stocks to come back
thank you everyone who read and posted their opinions/advice
nice to know US isnt the only place to get good help
and thanks US for your products and for this forum

Well if you have a 40" blade, it might turn into a pretty good work out depending on how quickly you can whip that thing around.

A friend of mine has the Raven with a 40" blade and it's certainly a handful, the extra weight really make dueling with it pretty great. Though dueling against it is... More difficult if you have something of a smaller size like I do.

Why is the fear of being afraid acceptable by the Jedi Order?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: