Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Manticore Mods  (Read 5349 times)
Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« on: November 30, 2015, 01:14:46 AM »

Hey everyone!  Just got my first US, a Manticore Emerald with Obsidian v4 in Pyrestone Orange.  So bear with me, because I am new to this, but definitely not new to Star Wars, though.  Thought I'd start a thread about what I did to it, and welcome some feedback and ideas.  Also, please post pics of yours.

This is how it came.  Beautiful, sleek, simple, but it really shows off that blade through the emitters, and isn't the blade the coolest part?

The first thing I did was add some red suede rope in a wrap to give it some grip.  After several spins to get the feel for it, my hand started to get sweaty, and I realized I needed something for my thumb and index finger to hold on to easier.  Why red?  A Shadow often has to infiltrate the Sith, and I thought, why not give the saber a little dark side look to help with that?  But I didn't want to completely cover the black part of the hilt.

Next came some paint.  I just used some flat black modeling paint.  The grooves on the pommel and emitter just scream for some black, and when I painted it, the details really popped!

Close up of the grooves on the emitter so you can see what I'm talking about.

The PO in the light.  I know PO doesn't show on camera very well.  Looks kind of pink.  Trust me, it's a good orange.

With the lights off.  I'd say the truest representation of the color is the orange away from the direct glare of the blade on the towel, towards the upper edge of the towel.

Just something simple that I could do in a morning while still also being a dad, so nothing spectacular.  What do you think?  What have you done with yours?

MTFBWY

LS-S

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:18:28 AM by Landen Se-Sentien » Logged

Signature banner by DarthScrub

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:35:29 AM »

Looks really nice.  The PO looks pretty good on that saber.

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Ululant
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:51:12 AM »

You are right about the grooves on the emitter.  May have to do that myself on mine, nice job.  Point.

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:22:55 AM »

Nice work, Landen Se-Sentien! Really cool mod- love the look of the red wrap on black, and I'm a BIG fan of blackening saber grooves as anyone around here can tell you lol!  Point for you sir.

I did some similar detailing on a liberator to pair it with a dark lib-  used an aluminum blackening agent because I duel a lot (pretty hard core lol) and the blackened aluminum is crazy durable after it's been clear coated- it's no manticore, but hope you don't mind me posting this to show you Smiley

If want a better look or curious about process at all you can check it out here, there's a ton of pics:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24724.msg370628#msg370628
It gives a really cool, deep/ non uniform black similar to patina Smiley.  MTFBWY

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »

Thanks, RevanReborn. A dark sider who likes my red wrap? Just what I was going for. Those are good looking sabers, too. Inspiration can come from anywhere, so it doesn't matter if it's not a Manticore. I agree that the groves just need a contrasting color to make them stand out, which is why I'm surprised to not see more of it done.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 02:35:59 AM »

Update -

The criss cross pattern was starting to move around a whole lot without too much force when using, so I decided to ditch it and go with a more solid wrap.  I still wanted to see some of that black hilt though, so I came across a post from KrayDragonPearl about what he did with suede cord wrap on one of his.  The short version is he spun some electrical tape around the hilt sticky side up and laid the cord over it.  He let me know that it hasn't budged in a year or so since doing this.  Now, mine has only been a couple of days, but I'm getting similar results.  Thanks, KDP!  The Force is definitely strong with you.

Looks like this, now.

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:48:21 AM »

Update -

The criss cross pattern was starting to move around a whole lot without too much force when using, so I decided to ditch it and go with a more solid wrap.  I still wanted to see some of that black hilt though, so I came across a post from KrayDragonPearl about what he did with suede cord wrap on one of his.  The short version is he spun some electrical tape around the hilt sticky side up and laid the cord over it.  He let me know that it hasn't budged in a year or so since doing this.  Now, mine has only been a couple of days, but I'm getting similar results.  Thanks, KDP!  The Force is definitely strong with you.

Landen,  It looks really good that way. I am pretty sure that the wrap will hold up for a good while. Like I told you earlier, mine has held for almost a year and i am planning on switching some things around anyway.  I am glad that it helped.  The only thing you may need to do is find a way to glue the end of the wrap so it stays. (i hope that makes sense)

KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

CaptKirk
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 02:04:08 AM »

wow, that looks amazing!  Nicely done!  I've noticed the sweaty-hand issue on my Guardian also - I'm glad I'm not the only one Smiley  I may have to see if I can do something similar on mine - thanks for the idea!

-[: Light Side points always appreciated! :]-
Ultrasabers Guardian (Em/Obs.v4)

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 02:17:33 AM »

Thanks, CaptKirk.  It's been holding great; very comfortable and a good, solid grip.  I figured a grip would prevent the thing from flying out of my hand and taking out someone or something. 

I just used suede rope from a craft store.  KDP said he glued the ends of his down, but I twisted and tucked mine on the back side of the hilt.  It seems to be working fine.  Post pics and let us see what it looks like.  I don't think I've come across a Guardian with a wrap.

Here's the link to what KDP did:  http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=22734.msg342355#msg342355

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 03:15:45 AM »

Landen, I have a Manticore on the way and I completely agree that those grooves on the emitter scream to be colored black. It's one of the first mods I plan on doing. The leather wraps adds some nice color. Might have to try that myself. Great saber, great work!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »

It's amazing something simple like that as a mod can make a big difference to the looks! Well done!

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »

Thanks Lord Sidious and Hansrad. I also just recently painted the groove just under the emitter windows black, too. I held off on that one, because I didn't know if it would be a grip point for me. As it turns out, the emitter kind of grinds the top of my hand if I hold it up that high, so I doubt I'll grip there. Looks good and kind of sets off the flared look of the emitter a little more.

Hansrad, I saw that you have a Manticore on the way and replied in your post. Enjoy it, my friend. And feel free to post some pics, too.

Tank_Titan
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »

That sabre is dope man. Can't wait to make one myself

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 09:09:18 PM »