Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Review of the Menace SE  (Read 14112 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« on: September 11, 2015, 04:44:23 AM »

As some may or may not agree, Darth Maul became one of my favorite SW characters since we had a proper look at him in the Clone Wars series.  IMO he should've been the main villain throughout the prequel trilogy.  As a fan of the character I was excited when US released the Menace.  That and the fact that it is unbelievably beautiful and wrought full of detail.

I actually suffered a small amount of anxiety over which version I wanted(SE, CE, Dark, Azure, Crimson).  It came down to the SE and the Dark Menace.  I tried to fight the urge to pick the canon look and do something different for me, but in the end I felt at peace going with the Menace SE.

Wow, this is seriously one gorgeous hilt.  If you like your precious's shinny, this is the precious to get.  For the order specs, I decided on BR, with SY FoC; yellow AV switch, the black blade holder and the classic control button configuration.  And US V4 sound.  *shudder*  

One of my constant favourite aspects of any lightsaber is a flared emitter.  With the option to pick from two different blade holders and with the shmexy grill, it checks off all the right boxes.  The grill itself is machined so that its edges are comfortable to the touch.  To me gripping it here is comfortable and useable for dueling and spinning. And just the overall dimensions of the emitter are functional and very pleasing to the eye.

Knowing this is one of the shortest premium hilt US makes I chose a 32" regular UE blade.  Visually it stays the course for the overall dimensions and makes this a quick and compact weapon.  It's really light and fast and I so enjoy wielding it.  The blade retention is very fortified with three blade retention screws that hide under the grill.  

To get at the retention screws, the top portion of the emitter unscrews from the black blade holder underneath the grill.  This top emitter piece holds the grill in place with precise pressure against the top of the hilt body.  Then the grill simply slides free and exposes the blade screws.  Really, just loosen these parts and install/remove the blade.  It may be one or two steps more than usual but it's so easy.  Sure some design elements could be improved, but little steps like this add a bit of depth to such a personal weapon like this Cheesy

The body of this lightsaber has been taken to a new level by US IMHO.  It's just so nice.  The raised and recessed machined rings, the buttons, jewels, screws...  My favourite detail is the small flat sections in between the buttons, and the square cut lines along side the jewels.  The jewels do a nice job of subtly catching the light and can give off a little bit of glow.

The covertec wheel is placed close to the emitter which is character specific and true on one end of Maul's full staff.  But on any Menace you get one and can remove one from either end to make it more canon accurate if you wish.  I like it where it is, it's different and hangs uniquely on your belt.  With a blade on it'll swing down in the same way as most sabers will with a covertec wheel.  As for grip I've found no issue with where it is placed.  The emitter makes for a fine hand hold with enough room without interference from the wheel.

Here are just a few fun shots of the buttons with a macro lens.  Of course, the control buttons are removable if you so please.

Some of you may be thinking that with so many buttons along the body that it might be uncomfortable to use other than light play.  But I quickly found out that this isn't the case, for me anyway.  I love using this for spinning, there are hardly any drawbacks with the buttons in place when this lightsaber is in use.  And for light to medium dueling I'm happy to leave the buttons where they are as your fingers find a way to fit them into place with most grips and with relative comfort.

But if you want to get more serious there is a way.  I have spouted much about replacing the control knobs with smoother, low profile button screws for more serious fighting(and for sure not the only one to think this or do it).  So I finally have a chance to show you what you could do by making available for yourself these screws for a very quick and easy change out for a cleaner finish for fighting.  By far I am no expect when in comes to dueling, but I sure love to get out there and scrap!!!

I found the control screw by the pommel end hard to replace for the fact that the body has a thin wall(in this spot anyway) and even with a super short screw it protrudes to the interior getting in the way of the sound board.  The stock screw is fine though.  However replacing all other control screws including the covertec wheel is not a problem.

No lightsaber is perfect but as you can tell I haven't had much to criticize concerning the Menace.  And if I did I haven't found it worth mentioning at this point in ownership.  This is a good example of how US keeps taking it's steps fwd to provide something quality, fun, and affordable for us to enjoy.  As far as all aspects of the saber hobby goes I give this one my full recommendation for those who are considering the Menace.  I love it...this hilt is an A+.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:49:14 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »

Another excellent review and outstanding photography my friend....... +1  Smiley

I'm one of those who have taken most of the screws off one of my Menaces (Azure stunt) and replaced with black button screws also..... I just prefer it for duelling and play..... but the screws complete the look, and I wish I didn't feel the need to...... although, I am lucky to have my Dark Menace on display to leave intact (now have an US black / yellow av to install in that soon for the complete stealthiness  Shocked).....

Your yellow av looks awesome with the SE hilt / BR blade combination, I much prefer BR in silver hilts over black hilts, and I think I will copy your idea for a future project, so thank you for that......   Cheesy

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »

Super review and beautiful photos.  Now as I look at my dark version am second guessing myself if I got the wrong color.   Undecided   Silver hilt with a red blade does indeed look shmexy.    Cool

Well deserved point for you.    Cheesy

EDIT:  Was thinking about getting the silver emitter with black window to switch out.  Also a silver bottom screw which I thought had originally been chosen with my saber.  What do you think ?  I'm sure that you can come up with some enviable swap outs for this shinny beauty.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:21:37 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 604

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »

Hazard502, Excellent review and photos indeed so point to you . That is a great lookin saber my friend.  As i am a fan of canon sabers, well done! MTFBWY!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/s & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/s an silver foc
 Archon CG w/s an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/s an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite s and AB foc
 Exile in CG w/s an silver foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Free)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (Raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Dark Initiate V2 in GB (free)
 Franken saber in VA
 Dominix LE V2 in BR (friend)
Wish list: Sound in my Guardian, Dark Prophecy BR

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 04:24:41 AM »

Your yellow av looks awesome with the SE hilt / BR blade combination, I much prefer BR in silver hilts over black hilts, and I think I will copy your idea for a future project, so thank you for that......   Cheesy

Yeah I'm really happy with how it all turned out.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about the yellow switch given it's more amber but I really like it and would certainly recommend it to others. 
And you're right the black finish switch will certainly bring the stealth Menace to it's fullness!  Hope you'll share some pics when its done Grin

Super review and beautiful photos.  Now as I look at my dark version am second guessing myself if I got the wrong color.   Undecided   Silver hilt with a red blade does indeed look shmexy.    Cool

I really like the Dark Menace and I would still like one.  I just have trouble spending money on a saber I already have when it could buy me another one I don't have!  Like the all silver Shock...I'll prob always be a fan of the Dark Menace but never have one Roll Eyes

Hazard502, Excellent review and photos indeed so point to you . That is a great lookin saber my friend.  As i am a fan of canon sabers, well done! MTFBWY!

Thanks Mav, this one went right to the top of my wish list when it came out and it's amazing finally having one!  This was my first red bladed saber too so it's pretty special Grin

Thorbs
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:03:32 AM »

Excellent review and photos hazard502, thanks!! I have the Dark Menace FO and bought a Menace SE for a friend in BR. It does look super nice! I couldn't deny the Dark side however. LOL

I didn't know you could find those small black cover buttons to make it smoother for spinning and dueling. Very nice! Where is a good place to acquire those?

Light side point given.

Light side points...not

Dark Menace OBS v4 FO
Dark Initiate v4 Stunt BR

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 03:29:22 AM »

Excellent review and photos hazard502, thanks!! I have the Dark Menace FO and bought a Menace SE for a friend in BR. It does look super nice! I couldn't deny the Dark side however. LOL

I didn't know you could find those small black cover buttons to make it smoother for spinning and dueling. Very nice! Where is a good place to acquire those?

Light side point given.

Cheers Thorbs, thank you! I guess you could try your local hardware store. Didn't have any luck in my city so I ordered these button screws(and a few other bits) from the "other guys". If you take your time and look around there's a few good sources out there.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2034

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »

Nice. Definitely gotta get me one now. I also feel the SE would have more of a Clone Wars type finish to the hilt same with the red having an Ultra Edge blade. I like red in an Ultra Edge blade though. Has that pre quels/animated look to the blade

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »

Hey - been crazy busy lately (not to mention ridiculously sick) but wanted to say, great review!

I really liked the view of how the Emitter comes apart.

Have you tried playing with different configs of the Menace emitter on your Consular? Curious how that would look!

I think the Graflex is still #1 on my list, but a Menace is probably next after I do some consolidation of all my Collectables . . .

Gave you a point & happy 1400th post!

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 01:11:55 AM »

Thank you Lord C! The Menace is def wish list worthy but I understand your feelings on the Graflex. The Menace emitter doesn't fit properly on the Consular. The Menace body flares out slightly about 1 1/2in from the top, and because the Consular doesn't have this wider part the grill slides down a bit.
If you play with the set screws you can make it stick though.
Thanks for the point! Grin (Hope u are well soon!)

Jedi Abid
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:26:08 AM »

Hi All I'm from the UK, My very first saber ...All black Dark Menace with sound (Emerald) configured to emit the counsilar green colour requested a green illuminated black AV switch and finished with the 32 inch ultra edge.

I ordered it on the 25th September, and havn't been able to sleep ever since lol. Soo excited can't wait for it to arrive.  Will also post pics when it arrives

The force is strong Jedi, we can even retain our consciousness after passing... Only a Sith deals in absolute and is suduced by the dark side and it's illusion of power. Patience is the path to inner power from which the force flows. Much to learn we still have Wink

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 03:34:09 AM »

Hi All I'm from the UK, My very first saber ...All black Dark Menace with sound (Emerald) configured to emit the counsilar green colour requested a green illuminated black AV switch and finished with the 32 inch ultra edge.

I ordered it on the 25th September, and havn't been able to sleep ever since lol. Soo excited can't wait for it to arrive.  Will also post pics when it arrives

Congrats Jedi Abid, you will love your Menace it really is a fantastic lightsaber! I would love to see pics of your Dark Menace, I would like a dark one too lol!
Consider doing a review of your own Menace Jedi Abid, we would love to hear your own opinion of it and it really helps other people who are thinking of getting their own Grin
A green blade colour and a green AV switch will look so good I'm excited to see it!

JediXIX
Alchemist of the Sentinel Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1172

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 05:45:17 AM »

AWESOME..... CG with a black/green av will look sensational...... I too look forward to your Dark Menace pics..... Welcome Jedi Abid  Smiley

(Haz, I installed my black/yellow av last night in my Stealth Dark Menace....... I'll post up pics some time soon........ PERFECTION   Wink)

Remember... The Force will be with you... Always . . . (Just let it in)

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »

AWESOME..... CG with a black/green av will look sensational...... I too look forward to your Dark Menace pics..... Welcome Jedi Abid  Smiley

(Haz, I installed my black/yellow av last night in my Stealth Dark Menace....... I'll post up pics some time soon........ PERFECTION   Wink)

FANTASTIC!!!

Jedi Abid
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:36:14 PM »

AWESOME..... CG with a black/green av will look sensational...... I too look forward to your Dark Menace pics..... Welcome Jedi Abid  Smiley

(Haz, I installed my black/yellow av last night in my Stealth Dark Menace....... I'll post up pics some time soon........ PERFECTION   Wink)

Thanks for the warm welcome😄. Controll my feelings I must... Impatience is the path to the dark side. use the force I will for speedy fed ex delivery lol. Meditate on the wait I shall. Then share my findings gladly I will with my fellow Jedi masters.

The force is strong Jedi, we can even retain our consciousness after passing... Only a Sith deals in absolute and is suduced by the dark side and it's illusion of power. Patience is the path to inner power from which the force flows. Much to learn we still have Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: