Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Aluminum Black Detailing!  (Read 23448 times)
RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »

Thanks guys!  Hope these pics are ok Zren, just took them in broad daylight so can see the saber a bit as well I hope lol?  Yeah that old look I think has a lot to do with the aluminum blackener, it has a deep, non uniform kind of finish that I think really compliments a saber- it's actually not paint at all, acid that blackens the aluminun.  I left that ring, around the blade opening of the emitter, silver so that it would be exactly mirroring the dark lib emitter (which has that ring black, with the flange and vent recesses silver) - to sort of pair the two.  I think in the pics just a little back further in the post u can see the two sabers together, and specifically the emitter sections.  There's a ton of pics back there lol I hope that doesn't get annoying for people im just not greatest at taking pics lol.

MTFBWY Smiley

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2036

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »

This needs to become a new service too from you Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »

Thanks so much Zren, I'm honoured that people find the detailing job nice enough for something like that Smiley.  I've gotten some pm's from people showing interest in the process, and a lot of input/ encouragement on the post; it's greatly appreciated.  It was actually really fun to do, if a little time consuming.  I'm going to be doing aluminum blackening on the saber I'm working on ATM too, just finishing up work'n on the shrouds first, but I'm excited to get to that!  Also I'm looking into finding another way to chemically refinish non-ferrous metals like aluminum so I can throw that into the mod as well.  Keep u posted, MTFBWY Smiley

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 604

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2015, 11:41:22 PM »

RavenReborn, that looks SWEET dude !! Grin I think that is the best lookin libby I have seen! Well done good sir!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/s & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/s an silver foc
 Archon CG w/s an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/s an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite s and AB foc
 Exile in CG w/s an silver foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Free)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (Raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Dark Initiate V2 in GB (free)
 Franken saber in VA
 Dominix LE V2 in BR (friend)
Wish list: Sound in my Guardian, Dark Prophecy BR

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »

Thanks so much MavRick- so very honoured! Very kind of you, super encouraging and keeps me so pumped to work on projects Smiley. MTFBWY

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »

Do gotta ask,  not sure what brand they are but, we have tons of paint for metal and other stuff like plastic as well, multi surface basically, would that work on any aluminum based hilts? Its mostly used for models and stuff but yeah. Just gotta get an idea first. Its like those tiny bottles you can get in sometimes a wooden box set thing

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »

I'll look into that for you Zren Smiley.  I believe I know exactly what paint you mean, I think I've got some kick'n around here somewhere as well from models n stuff, but I think you might want to hold off until we hear from people who know- I can't say for sure, but I remember a lot of that stuff is made to adhere more to the model materials (it'd be great for detailing a mask etc.) and I'm suspicious about how well it would adhere to aluminum. 

I guess depends on the project, because if you were free to work the metal really well pre-painting, like sanding etc., you can get a lot of stuff to stick if you seal on with clear after, but I wouldn't recommend.  You don't want a saber so delicate that the paint peels off if you breath on it lol.  And a lot of the times you won't want to get too aggressive with sanding the finish on a hilt if you're not weathering. 

I think there are other paints and methods that would work better, and also require less aggressive prep so it's easier to preserve finish of your hilt.  I'll keep you posted, MTFBWY Smiley.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »

I was told it was multi surfaces though so possible. Like it was the type that was bought was for anything really just in those tiny bottle sets and such

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »

SO. GOOD.

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »

Thanks SWF Smiley. Appreciate.  I'm actually starting to do some of the blackening on my next mod, gonna go crazy on the refinishing job on this one, tons of coverage, engraving, the whole nine yards- should have some progress to show soon on the log (up on this board as well).  Keep you posted, MTFBWY. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: