Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Aluminum Black Detailing!  (Read 23443 times)
Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »

Thanks to magik0012, Groovidad, JediXIX, Zren Tobas, and Joshie-Wahh for the feedback/ input and encouragement Smiley very much appreciated!  Zren, I'd love to see that gold if u decide to go ahead with one day- would look amazing.  And Drahcir I checked out your weathering gallery- it's masterful! Once I get a collection amassed I will definitely have to choose a saber or two to employ your services Smiley

You actually have me searching for gold annodizing or etching.  I would like to explore that medium a bit more.  You, my friend, did an absolutely STELLAR job on that hilt!  Very nicely done and well worth the time you spent!  Point to you! Cheesy

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 06:51:21 PM »

thanks Groovidad!  Point for u Smiley The feedback is so helpful, as it gives me the motivation to keep plugging away at the saber- just when I'm thinking "u know I'm tired from work, gonna put it off till tomorrow" a post comes in with encouragement/ enthusiasm etc. and I can't wait to get back up to my elbows in acetone and acid and sanding grit! Smiley lol just kidding! I'm very cautious and wear proper PPE.  But seriously the support is truly appreciated- I'm already fired up to tackle another section tonight!

Here's the saber in progress, next to the the dark liberator I'm pairing it with.

As always, keep u posted- and may The Force be with you Smiley

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »

How will you be doing the emitter portion out of curiosity?

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »

How will you be doing the emitter portion out of curiosity?

For the emitter I'm going to be doing the two smaller grooves between the vents the same way as I did the previous grooves.  I'll also be doing the recessed areas with the vents themselves, in keeping with the inverse of the dark liberator which has those areas machined silver.  But the lines/ edges in those spots with the vents are not nearly as conducive to the process, so I'll have to prework them much more intensively- really cut in lines as best as possible with the pretreatment.

In the end i have to make a judgement call.  To truly mirror the dark lib I'd have to wrap the black all the way up to the top surface of the emitter, over the sharp edge of the small flange there.  The dark lib has that whole top part machined silver, leaving just a ring of anodized black remaining right around the actuall opening for the blade:

Though it's tempting to cut a line in just under that flange, leaving it and the whole top part silver, I'm going to try and stick with the true inverse, doing the whole flange black, leaving only the ring around blade opening silver.  I will undoubtedly hate myself for this in the near future, but hey it's my first saber order, first time customizing, first time on forums etc. so the whole things a learning experience might as well just go for it lol!  If worst comes to worst I might have to get creative and bathe the tip with the inner (silver) ring protected etc.  All else fails I've got access to airbrush but I'm just about as stuborn as they come, and got my heart set on keeping it consistent so pretty sure I'll get that aluminum black one way or another lol.

SORRY FOR RAMBLE!! Lol hard to explain.  Thanks for the interest- you clearly have a gift for this, I'm a total newb, so it's very encouraging Smiley  and of course, any suggestions/ thoughts, by all means no need to hesitate- fire away I welcome them, would certainly take seriously Smiley

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 01:56:18 AM »

Ha, you answered all my questions in the ramble - so point to you there. The exact inverse is going to look really cool if you can pull it off. A complex undertaking though, I'm going to be watching your progress closely.
 Tongue

I don't have much in terms of advice my specialty is making a saber look like it's been through the lava of Mustafar, and then laughed at said lava, not making it look clean. You're doing an excellent job!

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

Roband
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -38

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 05:17:12 AM »

Liberator and Dark Lib Ying-Yang twins. This is turning out fantastic.

Your concept is brilliant, and you are executing it to perfection. Can't wait to see them completed.

PASSION, yet PEACE
SERENITY, yet EMOTION
CHAOS, yet ORDER
THE FORCE, in BALANCE

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 05:28:55 AM »

SORRY FOR RAMBLE!! Lol hard to explain.  Thanks for the interest- you clearly have a gift for this, I'm a total newb, so it's very encouraging Smiley  and of course, any suggestions/ thoughts, by all means no need to hesitate- fire away I welcome them, would certainly take seriously Smiley

I love the mindset of the Artisan!  The struggle to arrive at that point where you stand back and say, "YES!".  The journey to that point is what makes the creation THAT much sweeter!  The vision, distinct.  The work, intensive.  The result, climactic!  You do what you do for your love of the creation.  In the end, whatever you decide upon, lies within your soul and is a reflection of that.  Drive on, brother!  Drive on! Smiley

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port
Crimson Liberator, Stunt
Archon v2.1; CG w/AS FoC, AV Blue, OBS v4

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 09:12:05 PM »

Thanks everybody Smiley  approaching the tough parts- getting exciting!

Drahcir
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »

Good luck with the emitter!

Caylem
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 18

Lightpoints please!

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 12:02:04 AM »

Nice job so far. Can't wait to see that final result with the emitter. Good luck and keep up the good work!  Wink

Lightsabers:
                   Manticore CE V3sound (emerald)
                   The guardian V4sound (emerald) Nickel plated
                   Initiate LE V3 in CG
                   Azure Reaper V3 sound in GB
                   The Consular V4 sound in CG

Sithstar
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -27

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 12:10:02 AM »

No words, just points.
 Wink

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »

Hey everyone, sorry about delay Smiley  been waiting for this weekend to commence the final, most challenging (and fun/ exciting) section of the saber- since I have a long weekend.  Can't wait!  Gonna start asap.

But earlier in the week I figured I'd take a crack at my first custom blade plug- it's still prototype, needs a lot more work.  I'll be doing some resurfacing and adding some edging- will re-post once finalized. 

magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »

That blade plug looks great! Is it parts from an electric razor?

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »

Thanks, and yeah, that's a good eye you've got magik0012 Smiley  point for you, sir. I filed out the tube more to allow the razor head pieces to sit down in flush, and then fit a little translucent plastic membrane in behind to dampen the light so didn't over power (so details don't get lost in light).  To finish off I'm going to just clean up a bit, remove the white letter from the razor cover (possibly replace with aurebesh initials or jedi/ sith symbol?)  and put a tiny edge piece around the razor (like a small o ring etc.) to provide the look of a border/ separation.  Will def post when finished up, should look much better Smiley

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »

Weird I thought I already posted this, oops!  I didn't get as much time as expected to work on saber this weekend, but progress is progress I guess lol.  Keep u posted, may The Force be with you Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: