Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Menace CE Review - Obsidian Sound (pic heavy)  (Read 15730 times)
sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« on: January 31, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »

Hello, saberforum. It has been a little while, but I'm back and here to show off my latest acquisition, the Menace. This saber was just released this past Wednesday and I am very fortunate to be one of the first owners (and first product review?). Ever since forum member Julmax received a prototype as a raffle prize (link to her comprehensive review: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=21703.0) I knew this would be my next saber purchase. I hope this helps anyone still on the fence to see the beauty of this saber.

This saber design is offered in a plethora of options with black, silver, red, blue and nickel plated finishes. The emitter underlay (covered in more detail latter on) is available in black or silver with the option of windows or a solid piece. And of course, the control knobs can be order in any of the above finishes as well. This saber is 10.5 inches long, which is a nice deviation from some of the longer, more massive hilts available.

Now, let's get into the details of my order...

I ordered the Menace CE with nickel plated finish (oh how I love the nickel plating) with Obsidian sound in BR with silver FoC and a red AV switch. I chose to get mine with a black underlay with windows (gotta love the windows). I also decided to keep it canon and got alternating red and nickel control knobs.

As you can see the saber has a beautiful design, and is probably the most intricate design to date on an Ultrasaber. The level of detail and craftsmanship is phenomenal and the resemblance to its namesake inspiration is uncanny. As a canon design, it shines remarkably among its peers. Something to note is the alternating diameters of the saber body from top to bottom, ending in the slight slope of the pommel. This gives the saber character and sets it apart from others.

The standout feature of this saber is definitely the emitter. It has a unique design unshared by any other emitter I have seen, which breaks down into three parts: a main body piece, flanged top, and grill overlay. The windows in the main body piece are circular rather than the expected rectangular shape, but this works to its benefit because it makes lining up the grill overlay easier since the windows are larger than the slats in the grill.

The next key design feature for keeping true to its canon origins is the addition of control knobs along the body of the saber. On the canon version there are 4 knobs alternating between red and silver, larger and smaller. Smartly enough, US replaced the second knob from the top with the switch for the saber. And with an AV switch, the design change is minimal and welcome. With a non-illuminated AV switch, the change can practically go unnoticed, but I like to contrast the red AV switch adds to the style. Not only are the control knobs present, but you may also notice small "accent lights" (they do not light up), button screws, and machined details along the body, further solidifying its sense of detail and accuracy.

The pommel is small and slightly sloped, with the same vent pattern found on the Consular pommel (no doubt a nice nod to its foe's saber). It is a nice finishing piece.

An interesting departure for this saber from other US is the position of the covertec wheel. Here it is placed nearly opposite the switch, at a high point on the saber. This at first seems bizarre, but actually allows it to be carried with a longer blade when affixed to your belt.

Though this would be a fine place to continue to marvel at this saber, I must cover some downsides as well. The design features are its crowning achievement and its biggest curse. The addition of all the design elements, from the accents to the control knobs and placement of the covert wheel make it hard to find a comfortable grip higher on the saber. The choke point below the emitter is accessible for spins ,but gripping the saber lower comes at a cost to balance. This of course makes it even more suitable in staff form however where this saber is expected to shine.

All in all this has quickly become one of my prize possessions and I will cherish it as a part of my collection. I will now leave you with some size comparisons, some additional images of pommel swaps with my other CE sabers, and a final image to honor the canon it was inspired by.

Menace CE vs. Manticore CE

Menace CE vs. Graflex CE

Menace CE vs. Guardian CE

With Manticore CE High Pommel

With Graflex CE Pommel

With Guardian CE Pommel

Final pic in honor of the duel of the canon sabers (unfortunately I do not own the Consular to make this a trifecta):

Ululant
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »

Beautiful!  Looks like you have an UE blade...  Did you go Emerald? And what FOC combo did you get?  Can't wait to order one....  Envious...

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »

It is indeed an UE blade. I thought it looked more accurate on this hilt, giving it a true prequel trilogy feel. I didn't go Emerald because I didn't find it worth it on this saber, though I did get quick disconnects. It has a silver FoC.

Ululant
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »

I feel the same way..  BR all the way...  I'm a sucker for a pulse though.  Emory commented that there was tight space for all the components and for sound options the saber length had to be increased by a fraction of an inch.. Knowing that, it is amazing that quick disconnects can fit... 

Lady Mineva
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 76

I rarely act my age.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »

Right now with this saber I feel the same way about the Emerald driver. It’s nice to have that option but I feel that until the “new” wears off, most of the orders for the Menace are going to be SE or CE hilts with BR blades. Because it’s Maul’s saber and now you can have one that you can trust to bash into other things. That’s just my opinion.

Determination is my strength, patience is not always my virtue.
Initiate LE V4(SY) w/Sound "Chasm"

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »

Sed, that is a beautiful, beautiful hilt. I almost feel I can reach out and take it, given how nice those photos look Smiley

I'm pleased to see such a warm review, given I'm almost set on getting one of these myself this week. And given that mine is likely to be almost identical to yours (mainly I think I'll get the high polish rather than nickel finish) It's easy to imagine it in my hand! As I have a Consular and a Guardian, I'll be able to show the three movie hilts together, too!

I always think of the Manticore as quite a short hilt, but it positively dwarfs the Menace. Interesting... Have you used it two-handed at all? While I may eventually get a second Menace, I'd be more inclined to dual wield than pair them as a staff... but at the same time, there's something about it that makes me think it'd be comfortable to use with two hands.

Have you tried any other emitters on the Menace? It must look borderline Initiate-length with something like a Shock or Consular pommel on, I would have thought - presumably the LED still sits inside the body of the hilt, even with the emitter removed?

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »

I cannot wait to order a Menace of my own, however I see you have shown the emitter parts separated but can you use them in other mhs sabers too?

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Drahcir
Keeper of Ancient Artifacts
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -971

Shiny saber you got there, let me fix that.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »

This saber is just gorgeous.
I do worry about all the button/knob/covertec wheel messing with holding it though.
Maybe down the line I'll have to splurge and get one of these.

Want your hilt customized? Visit my Thread and I'll do it for you : http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=24643

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:28:25 PM »

Sed, that is a beautiful, beautiful hilt. I almost feel I can reach out and take it, given how nice those photos look Smiley

I'm pleased to see such a warm review, given I'm almost set on getting one of these myself this week. And given that mine is likely to be almost identical to yours (mainly I think I'll get the high polish rather than nickel finish) It's easy to imagine it in my hand! As I have a Consular and a Guardian, I'll be able to show the three movie hilts together, too!

I always think of the Manticore as quite a short hilt, but it positively dwarfs the Menace. Interesting... Have you used it two-handed at all? While I may eventually get a second Menace, I'd be more inclined to dual wield than pair them as a staff... but at the same time, there's something about it that makes me think it'd be comfortable to use with two hands.

Have you tried any other emitters on the Menace? It must look borderline Initiate-length with something like a Shock or Consular pommel on, I would have thought - presumably the LED still sits inside the body of the hilt, even with the emitter removed?

This would certanily fit well in your collection!

It is a rather short hilt, but I have been wanting more like this. I can just fit two hands on it, but it is possible. I haven't tried any other emitters, but this one is definitely larger than any other emitter I have. The electronics fit nice and compactly into the hilt. I have QD's like I said, but haven't tried pulling the LED out yet.

I cannot wait to order a Menace of my own, however I see you have shown the emitter parts separated but can you use them in other mhs sabers too?

The pieces are MHS compatible except for the grill piece which is just held in place between the hilt and top flange. The flange screw into the black body piece, which screws into the hilt. I forgot to mention it, but there are three retention screws in the body piece that hold the blade.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »

Hey Sedsti, another stellar review and photos.  When you do your video, could you kinda go easy when placing the saber on the table Grin.  My ears thank you in advance.  Seriously, I really like your choice and agree that this saber may be best used as a staff.  Would appreciate seeing other emitters as well.  Can you explain the 3 screws for the blade in more detail and thanks.  Point well deserved.  Cool

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 01:04:49 AM »

Hey Sedsti, another stellar review and photos.  When you do your video, could you kinda go easy when placing the saber on the table Grin.  My ears thank you in advance.  Seriously, I really like your choice and agree that this saber may be best used as a staff.  Would appreciate seeing other emitters as well.  Can you explain the 3 screws for the blade in more detail and thanks.  Point well deserved.  Cool

Thank you! Haha, I'll keep that in mind. You're the first to say something about it. I may or may not have time to do a full video review so I tried to fit in most everything here. I can work on getting some pics with some different emitters though. As far as the set screws, you can see one in the emitter breakdown picture above. It is basically just three around that point of the body piece.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2034

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:29:47 AM »

Very nice. Now a video of you portraying Maul and someone Obi-wan all costumed up for the final duel part. Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 02:48:51 AM »

Dude!  Aside from my raging jealousy I'm really happy for you!  Tongue

A couple of extra hex button screws like the ones located beside the jewels used to temporarily replace the activation switches along the body will be key to unleashing this into a clean handling saber(when it's time to have your revenge on the Jedi).  Just a thought.

Your nickel sabers look fantastic!  The Menace and the Manticore pommel look great.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:07:38 AM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

sedstiskyfaller
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 03:32:36 AM »

Very nice. Now a video of you portraying Maul and someone Obi-wan all costumed up for the final duel part. Tongue

I need another one for that  Wink

Dude!  Aside from my raging jealousy I'm really happy for you!  Tongue

A couple of extra hex button screws like the ones located beside the jewels used to temporarily replace the activation switches along the body will be key to unleashing this into a clean handling saber(when it's time to have your revenge on the Jedi).  Just a thought.

Your nickel sabers look fantastic!  The Menace and the Manticore pommel look great.

Haha, thanks man! Yeah, that may be a necessary substitution for active dueling, but it's mainly a collectors item for me.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2034

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 05:02:25 AM »

You'll need a Consular then. I see where you're going with this Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: