Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Simple Weathering Tutorial (example pics included)  (Read 2824 times)
richmbailey
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 282

« on: July 02, 2014, 06:16:17 PM »

After much research online to find easy and quick ways to do weathering, I tried the method below. Using this method does not damage the saber but uses paint to create the weathered look without damaging the components (scratches, dents, etc). It also doesn't require disassembling of the saber. For my practice run I used a Hasbro Force FX saber (pics below). This will be the method I use moving forward with any customizing I do for my US hilts.

Tools
a. Lint Free Rags
b. Testers Paint (Flat black, Cafe Brown, Metallic gray)
c. Testers Thinner (clean)
d. Paint brushes, one thin/soft bristles, one wider/firm bristles
e. Small clean containers for mixing paint
f. Q-tips
g. Clear coat (optional)

Steps

1. Clean all parts thoroughly with a very lightly damp rag (lint free).

2. Pour Black and Brown paint into tray (about 40/60). Add paint thinner and mix to a watery consistency.

3. With small thin brush paint into the grooves of the part. The thin paint should start to seep into the grooves.

4. Let dry for about 20 minutes (or use a hair dryer for faster drying).

5. Add more paint in the thicker grooves and repeat as many times as required for the desired level of weathering you want.

6. Once the paint part is completed, use a Q-tip and dip it into the clean thinner. Roll it on a paper towel to remove access.

7. Gently wipe away the exposed areas of the hilt. Try to avoid removing any paint in the grooves. Let dry for about 10 minutes
   and use a lint free rag to wipe away additional paint if desired.

8. If you accidently remove too much, you can repeat steps 3 to darken the grooves again.

9. Once completed, wait a good 24 hours for the paint to set in full, then you can use a thin coat of clear coat to protect your work.

** Additional tips for black powder coated sections.

If you want to add more scraped metal look, you can add a bit of metallic gray and brown and use the dry brush technique tips. I did this with metallic silver.
in Darth Rifter's tutorial here > http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=7716.0

You can also add a bit more red or orange based colors to the mix if you are going for a rusted look.

Below is a finished hilt using this method (I will be converting this Hasbro to a Luxeon LED with removable blade soon!)

Chosen One SE (BR) Obsidian v3 Sound
Dark Monarch - Ancient Mods with 3rd party sound
Bellicose (FO) Obsidian Sound
Graflex (GB) 3rd party sound
Flamberge (BR) Stunt
Dark Shock Hybrid (BR FoC FO) 3rd party sound
Consular (CG) Obsidian Sound

Darth Vapour
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -98

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:03:35 AM »

Nice work. That's one thing I have yet to try. Thanks for the tips

"WRATH" Overlord PO Obsidian
"ICE" Customized Liberator AB Obsidian
"Fire" Dark Liberator BR
Hasbro Vader FX
Aeon V2 SY, Consular CG,
"Guardian" Customised SI V2 GB
Custom built Shock CG with obsidian FO FOC
Custom Yari staff BR

crisjim4
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »

That looks amazing Smiley I'm thinking if I do any weathering I'm going mess with my airbrush a bit  Smiley

Relan Tarel jedi kinght
Forge Technician
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »

Hard to beleve that that's a hasbro it looks awsom now.

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="swtor guild hosting">[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/bbc902d3fb690dcb.png[/img][/url]
Custom saber-Vigilance

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »

Hard to beleve that that's a hasbro it looks awsom now.

Thanks! Next up I am getting it converted to a Luxeon LED so I can have a removable blade and get rid of the blade with the LED string.

Other than that the hilt is well built and fairly durable.

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

Relan Tarel jedi kinght
Forge Technician
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »

Are you going to be upgrading the sound or just replacing the led strip with a lux green?
I cecently did a full over haul with my kit fisto. I tell you what it was a real experience. If your just doing the led just be warned hasbro has some pittifull soldering, lots of hot glue and verry small guage wires

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="swtor guild hosting">[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/bbc902d3fb690dcb.png[/img][/url]
Custom saber-Vigilance

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:56:22 AM »

Are you going to be upgrading the sound or just replacing the led strip with a lux green?
I cecently did a full over haul with my kit fisto. I tell you what it was a real experience. If your just doing the led just be warned hasbro has some pittifull soldering, lots of hot glue and verry small guage wires

Only the LED will be installed. It will keep the Hasbro sound/electronics. I am actually commissioning someone else to do the work. I will keep the original Blue since it's an Obi Wan not a Luke hilt.

If I did the wiring it would be a debacle.

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: