Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrasabers Emerald LED Driver is HERE  (Read 67558 times)
haldir
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »

What does "S" stand for when selecting colors for the 2 channel driver?

MikeOretta
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »

Basically, if you want to be able to switch colors whenever you like (you could do it mid-swing if you were so inclined), go with the classic RGB.  Emerald doesn't give you that sort of on-the-fly option, but gives you much more fine-grained control of color along with the new pulse feature.  Emerald gives you literally 600 million times as many color options as a classic RGB Ultrasaber (not counting pulse and FoC): 4.2 billion combinations vs 7.  I'm not very familiar with other LED drivers on the market, but I'm pretty confident none of them will switch between billions (or even millions) of colors on the fly.  Smiley  (Although it would be kind of fun to see a hilt made entirely of DIP switches.)

Put differently, RGB effectively gives you 7 colors in one saber, selectable at any time.  Emerald gives you one color (or pulse combination), but it can be whatever you want it to be today.  If you want to change colors depending on who you're sparring with over the course of one day, go RGB.  If you want to make your saber match your mood/outfit/whim/whatever, go Emerald.

Not to mention emerald is an only option for sabers that can't have rgb like the guardian or graflex.  I wouldn't even want rgb on those sabers but I would want emerald on an archon.

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2013, 03:15:46 AM »

What does "S" stand for when selecting colors for the 2 channel driver?
"Silver," aka white.  Smiley

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Avarius
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2013, 04:19:55 AM »

I thought it stood for "Sexy". Oh well... *shrugs shoulders*

haldir
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »

I had a feeling that "S" stood for silver, but why label the white LED "W" on the 4 channel set up and "S" on the 2 channel set up?

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2013, 04:25:07 AM »

Can I order the Emerald LED driver and a RGB LED separately to install them into my saber by myself?

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Aletani
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -130

Dark Side Points Please

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2013, 06:05:56 AM »

Can I order the Emerald LED driver and a RGB LED separately to install them into my saber by myself?

I'd say look at the "build your own" tab on their page, see if they're offering it there, if not you could probably email them to see what they'd do for you. Smiley

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 150

For the Light of the Republic! (LS Points Please)

« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »

The Emerald 4-channel LEDs are not up in the DIY section nor do I see the new Emerald driver boards.  I also don't see any RGB parts.  I think the two systems are incompatible due to how the Emerald uses a new hardware.

Saber Armory:
Archon v2.1 w/sound - CG/FoC/AS
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

Vyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »

The Emerald 4-channel LEDs are not up in the DIY section nor do I see the new Emerald driver boards.  I also don't see any RGB parts.  I think the two systems are incompatible due to how the Emerald uses a new hardware.
The "classic" RGB system is definitely incompatible with the Emerald system.  They use the same LEDs, but drive them in different ways.  Essentially, a classic RGB saber has one power switch each for R, G, and B, and FoC of either white or amber, thus a RGBW or RGBA LED.  Emerald has a separate channel for each of those with the ability to split power between them arbitrarily.

I believe Rina Ascura's question was in line with this; I interpreted her question as asking if she could order the Emerald board and the RGBW or RGBA LED required to use it.  Unfortunately, the answer currently appears to be "no."  I expect that both will become available soon; in the meantime, while you can source the RGBW/RGBA LED elsewhere, Ultrasabers is the only source for the Emerald driver or the aluminum module that the LED sits in.

Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Dominix LE v4 Emerald RGBW, Obsidian v4
Manticore HP, Obsidian v4
Aeon LE v3 SY, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v3 3AS, Obsidian Lite
Dominix LE v2 RGB, stunt
Aeon LE v2 AS, Hasbro sound
Initiate LE v2 GB, stunt
Dark Liberator v2 BR, stunt
[censored] RGBA, [redacted] sound
Luke Skywalker, Kylo Ren, and Yoda Force FX Black Series
...and a bunch of cheap stuff.

Quildra
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »

Has there been any word on when the 4 channels will be available for "build your own lightsaber"? I'm looking at buying and building my first saber and would most likely wait for them to become available if it was too far off.

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »

Has there been any word on when the 4 channels will be available for "build your own lightsaber"? I'm looking at buying and building my first saber and would most likely wait for them to become available if it was too far off.

There has been no official word on it yet.  Keep in mind, with the 2 or 4 channel Emerald LED, I think you'd have to get the Emerald board shown in the videos too and I believe that is a separate cost as I don't see it coming with the 2-channel Emerald LEDs that are listed already.  Also, this eliminates the need for the Buckpuck in your build plan, and would make going with Li-Ion even better.  I suggest also that you go for sound.  I know that cost hurts, but if you're going to go through the trouble of wiring up emerald, you might as well not have to do it again.

Saber Armory:
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

realmoe
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »

My question is how do adjust the color and settings? Is it all in the soundboard software? Do you have to remove it and hook up via usb same as soundboard? Can you install a knob with a rotary switch to change color on the fly?

Darth Hanchi knight bane

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »

If you check the videos, there is a software interface to change colors.  You need to have the new Obsidian Launcher for the Emerald stuff.  I think even if you have a recharge port, you must remove the assembly to get to the USB port for the Emerald board.  I believe the recharge port, if you have one, connects to the Obsidian Sound board and the batteries only.  Perhaps in the future they might make a port able to connect to the Emerald.  Changing colors on the fly isn't available as far as I saw in the videos.  It seems to have to be done on the software.

Saber Armory:
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

Darth Nekesus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -164

Resident Zabrak and LoL addict.

« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2013, 01:40:01 AM »

My question is how do adjust the color and settings? Is it all in the soundboard software? Do you have to remove it and hook up via usb same as soundboard? Can you install a knob with a rotary switch to change color on the fly?

No this can not be done unless you custom wire your LED but the Emerald would not be necessary to do this.

If you check the videos, there is a software interface to change colors.  You need to have the new Obsidian Launcher for the Emerald stuff.  I think even if you have a recharge port, you must remove the assembly to get to the USB port for the Emerald board.  I believe the recharge port, if you have one, connects to the Obsidian Sound board and the batteries only.  Perhaps in the future they might make a port able to connect to the Emerald.  Changing colors on the fly isn't available as far as I saw in the videos.  It seems to have to be done on the software.

The recharge port can only be used to charge your batteries.  It does not hook up to the Obsidian board.  For this you have to remove the battery assembly (which has the Obsidian and/or Emerald attached to it) and plug your soundboard directly into your computer via USB cable.  The same would be done for the Emerald.

Unless you have experience with wiring than I would not suggest doing this because the wiring will be a lot more complex than just a standard saber or even one with sound.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge"
-Darth Maul-

DVA and CG Phantom V3 LE
Custom Painted SRD Aeon V2
Overlord with Obsidian and Emerald

Jedijosh
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 105

Come back to the light side we have chips & Salsa

« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2013, 06:24:21 AM »

Good advice Nekesus, although the an emerald custom saber would be awesome in its own right. Smiley

Sabers:
Aeon v2 (CG), Archon v2.1 (VA), Graflex CE (Obsidian Emerald), Guardian (Obsidian GB),

Wish list:
Azure Mantis, Arbiter, Bellicose in RGB, Chosen One CE, Consular in CG, Prophecy v3

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: