Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Musicians thread  (Read 31949 times)
Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2013, 07:16:20 AM »

I wanna join!
your in, If you've got a set I suggest percussion, but otherwise Bass is okay, (we never said we'd stick to just one of each instrument).

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2013, 07:18:10 AM »

Hey, I can do percussion if you need me to! I can basically do anything if you need me to haha. Except sing... or play a wind instrument... maybe I could do a violin or something... but it probably wouldn't sound good... just stick with those I mentioned! I can do any and all of them!

Indeed. I've wanted to learn how to play the drums for the longest time now. My parents would never let me though. How typical. lol.

your in, If you've got a set I suggest percussion, but otherwise Bass is okay, (we never said we'd stick to just one of each instrument).

I agree. We should get some more of everything.

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »

if we do it in multiple tracks we could each do a couple and mix them together. Of course since we are all over the place we might need to record the piece in multiple tracks anyway.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »

if we do it in multiple tracks we could each do a couple and mix them together. Of course since we are all over the place we might need to record the piece in multiple tracks anyway.

I was thinking that'd be about the only way to realistically pull it off.  Also, my keyboard has all sorts of fun "fonts" for it.  So if there's anything you all want to "try" I can set it up.  Once I get the computer, and my place all situated, I'll be able to do quite a bit.  That'll just take some time from now.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2013, 12:46:14 AM »

Kind of random, but I'm starting to really like my new practice schedule for guitar. I read an article on ultimate-guitar.com that talked about mastering guitar solos the right way, but the concept can really be applied to anything. Basically, the author said that practicing guitar for four minutes a day is ideal. This is because it's easy to say, "oh, I'm going to be the next Steve Vai and practice for hours on end!" but this makes it very easy to be lazy and give up, and make excuses like "oh, I'm too busy."

But if you practice for four minutes a day and slowly add more time each week, it makes for a reward system and you'll feel accomplished. Plus you'll also start to have a desire to do longer practice sessions.

And basically, for that four minutes, you should spend all of your time practicing one single measure over and over. Then the next day, do it again, unless it was something super simple, then just move on to the next measure. And then after the week is up, bump that four minutes up to five, and keep going. Eventually you'll have every measure in the solo (or the whole song, if that's what you're going for) completed.

Personally, I've tweaked that four minutes to ten. I just can't stand picking up a guitar, turning my amp on, and getting comfortable only to stop what I'm doing four minutes later. Still, the same things apply.

It's definitely been helping me out a lot. You guys should give it a try Smiley

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »

Pictures of my new toy will be up tomorrow!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2013, 12:59:56 AM »

Kind of random, but I'm starting to really like my new practice schedule for guitar. I read an article on ultimate-guitar.com that talked about mastering guitar solos the right way, but the concept can really be applied to anything. Basically, the author said that practicing guitar for four minutes a day is ideal. This is because it's easy to say, "oh, I'm going to be the next Steve Vai and practice for hours on end!" but this makes it very easy to be lazy and give up, and make excuses like "oh, I'm too busy."

But if you practice for four minutes a day and slowly add more time each week, it makes for a reward system and you'll feel accomplished. Plus you'll also start to have a desire to do longer practice sessions.

And basically, for that four minutes, you should spend all of your time practicing one single measure over and over. Then the next day, do it again, unless it was something super simple, then just move on to the next measure. And then after the week is up, bump that four minutes up to five, and keep going. Eventually you'll have every measure in the solo (or the whole song, if that's what you're going for) completed.

Personally, I've tweaked that four minutes to ten. I just can't stand picking up a guitar, turning my amp on, and getting comfortable only to stop what I'm doing four minutes later. Still, the same things apply.

It's definitely been helping me out a lot. You guys should give it a try Smiley

That's actually a good idea. I think I'll try this with bass, and maybe guitar(every other day switching). That's my main issue with the instrument(why I suck), I never practice, my main excuse being, "I'm too busy."

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2013, 01:54:09 AM »

That's actually a good idea. I think I'll try this with bass, and maybe guitar(every other day switching). That's my main issue with the instrument(why I suck), I never practice, my main excuse being, "I'm too busy."

Oh, definitely. I used to play guitar for at least five hours a day. This was back when it was still new and fresh and exciting for me. Heck, back then, I used to sleep with my guitar, and I took it to the bathroom with me once.

But eventually that sheer amount of practice took it's toll. Well, it was a combination of many different things, some more personal than others, but the long practice sessions were definitely a factor. Being able to play less and slow it down a bit is definitely going to be better for me in the long run.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2036

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2013, 06:48:48 AM »

Nice. I play guitar but not great and can sing somewhat. I mostly do old school style metal for singing like Pantera, Sevenfold, Blessthefall, August Burns Red for newer music. I'll post a singing video sometime but I don't have a mic or amp. So it'll just be my natural voice.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »

When I play guitar I like to play metal, hard rock, or some U2-style delay riffs. I love using delays to create a huge, spacious, sound with arpeggiated chords.  Grin

I was never into the whole "shredding" thing. I tried, but it never really clicked with me. I'm more of a rhythm guy, which is why I like bass and percussion also. Just give me anything with a strong rhythm and I'm happy.  Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »

and I took it to the bathroom with me once.

Just to clarify, the reason why I did this was because the acoustics in a bathroom are so much better than in any other part of the house. No weird things are going on in my house. lol.... Also, didn't Weird Al record his first album in the school bathroom?

When I play guitar I like to play metal, hard rock, or some U2-style delay riffs. I love using delays to create a huge, spacious, sound with arpeggiated chords.  Grin

I was never into the whole "shredding" thing. I tried, but it never really clicked with me. I'm more of a rhythm guy, which is why I like bass and percussion also. Just give me anything with a strong rhythm and I'm happy.  Smiley

Where I'm from, we sweep pick our arpeggios Wink Though I never was good at it. I'm also not really a shred guy either. I take my biggest inspiration from guys like James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine. I do love shredding though. Metal is relaxing for me, and guitar solos just take the cake in that regard. Plus I always love analyzing music.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

Just to clarify, the reason why I did this was because the acoustics in a bathroom are so much better than in any other part of the house. No weird things are going on in my house. lol.... Also, didn't Weird Al record his first album in the school bathroom?

Where I'm from, we sweep pick our arpeggios Wink Though I never was good at it. I'm also not really a shred guy either. I take my biggest inspiration from guys like James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine. I do love shredding though. Metal is relaxing for me, and guitar solos just take the cake in that regard. Plus I always love analyzing music.

Haha I prefer simpler stuff because it seems to stir emotions more easily than fast stuff. Simple riffs can be more memorable than the craziest solo.

Not saying there's anything wrong with shredding or things like that, it's just not my style.  Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »

Haha I prefer simpler stuff because it seems to stir emotions more easily than fast stuff. Simple riffs can be more memorable than the craziest solo.

Not saying there's anything wrong with shredding or things like that, it's just not my style.  Smiley

Yeah, I agree. Not all fast solos have to contain insane shredding though. And when it really comes down to it, a full on shred fest of a solo just leaves me feeling hollow. In combination with other techniques and slower passages, that is when it shines. But it's all subjective really. I know Kirk Hammett can do shred fests and still make it sound tasteful. LOL. Just his gift I guess.

In any case, it's all good to me. Music is music Cool

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:31 AM »

so, my buddy was delayed so I didn't get my camera...so her are some consolation pictures.

as you can tell I went to Fairfax High. heh heh. if you can find me in any of the pictures I will give you a point.

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »

I borrowed my housemates camera.

The Tricksters case.

AND THE BEAST ITSELF! A 1925 BUESCHER MODEL 9!

the other side.

Te bell, unfortunately the people who refinished it did not do a good job of preserving the engraving

Conn #4 mouthpiece

The trickster and my Bach.

The Trickster bell Versus the Bach bell. notice that the Tricksters bell is a whole lot smaller than the Bachs.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: