Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Musicians thread  (Read 31885 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2013, 03:24:22 AM »

I respectfully disagree in the most friendly manner possible.  Smiley

The bass is also responsible for giving the song a "groove," something that makes it catchy or stand out. It also supports all guitarists and potentially keyboardist by playing the root note, or making a nice contrast by playing a different note within the same chord (be it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, whatever).

The bass is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, the song loses depth.

I agree 1000%. Bass is very important, even more so live than in studio. Without it the sound tends to be thinner, and lacking something IMO. Bands can(and do) make it work without bass(White Stripes anyone?), but it's much harder.

This video really shows you how important bass is:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhxycDKlaf4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhxycDKlaf4</a>

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2013, 05:33:22 AM »

@Hobby - It's cool, I understand. I don't entirely agree, but we've agreed on so many things it was about time we found something to disagree on.  Cheesy

@Darth_Arkanus - I'm pretty sure no one here was saying that. I definitely don't. I think we're talking about the importance of the other instruments in order to build them up, but not by tearing down the lead guitarist. I don't think it's ever necessary to tear down the "top dog" in order to elevate others. It's totally possible to build up others without tearing anyone down, in fact I believe we should do that in any and all situations.

@TJ - POINT!  Grin

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2013, 06:34:51 AM »

I think it's healthy to disagree Cheesy

Anyway, I wanted to share this. It's an oldie, but a goodie. There is some minor swearing (as in, two words, mixed in with some rather hilarious captions) though. Pay attention at the end Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDZ5Zozejh4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDZ5Zozejh4</a>

What I really like about this video is that 1) It's about Metallica. 2) It just goes to show that even pros struggle (NO DUH, HOBBIE!) so if you find yourself struggling, don't worry. You aren't broken or anything. 3) It's about Metallica. 4) It's absolutely hilarious. 5) It's about Metallica.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:39 AM »

As soon as I move out, I'm buying a drum kit.

(Sig by me!)

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:10 AM »

I am working on learning trombone because I've had one sitting in my shop for two or three years and I've not actually opened the case since it was given to me. it is older than I remember, apparently 1951 or so, it was found in a friends attic and given to me "because you, like, play a similar instrument". It needs a little work.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2013, 03:39:00 AM »

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »

I AM REVIVING THIS GORRAMN THREAD! BECAUSE, MOSTLY BECAUSE I WANT TO!!

but here are some instruments nrop pictures.

none of those are mine, I don't have any that look that good.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »

Beautiful!! How's that new horn treating ya (the one you got not pictured above)?

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »

I LOVE it! i took it to a little informal jazz jam session and played it all night, and about a half dozen or so people insisted that I let them play it. they seemed to have a hard time believing that an 88 year old trumpet plays that well.

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »

I LOVE it! i took it to a little informal jazz jam session and played it all night, and about a half dozen or so people insisted that I let them play it. they seemed to have a hard time believing that an 88 year old trumpet plays that well.

Must have been lacquered like a boss. Unlike wooden instruments, we brass players rarely enjoy aged instruments. That's so cool that the piece of history you have is in such good condition!

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »

Must have been lacquered like a boss. Unlike wooden instruments, we brass players rarely enjoy aged instruments. That's so cool that the piece of history you have is in such good condition!

well, I actually prefer older instruments. I'm not sure why, but i just do. they look better, and to me, sound better.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »

I finally meet another musician in town, and he's a bass player.... How am I supposed to start a band with only bass players?

(Sig by me!)

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »

I finally meet another musician in town, and he's a bass player.... How am I supposed to start a band with only bass players?

By getting more bass players.

Count me in.

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2013, 06:24:25 AM »

Okay, maybe I do have a problem...I just got another cornet, a 1916 Buescher Model 15. Do I need to start going to some sort of psychologist about my collecting? I have nine brass instruments now, four trumpets, three cornets, one trombone, and a bugle. That isn't too many, maybe I don't have a problem!

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2013, 02:01:45 PM »

Okay, maybe I do have a problem...I just got another cornet, a 1916 Buescher Model 15. Do I need to start going to some sort of psychologist about my collecting? I have nine brass instruments now, four trumpets, three cornets, one trombone, and a bugle. That isn't too many, maybe I don't have a problem!

This is said on a forum where people take pictures of their 9 sabers and brag about more on the way...

On that note, you're just fine!  Grin

Pics? Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: