Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Musicians thread  (Read 31892 times)
Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:41 PM »

Because I am one and I like to talk to other musicians.

Hi I'm Frizenflyer and I am a trumpet player. I know what you all are thinking, but it didn't used to be this bad I used to just play the clarinet. But practically before I knew it I was on the hard stuff, Brass! I even experimented with the tuba for a while!

all kidding aside collecting instruments is one of my hobbies, I have three trumpets, two cornets, a trombone, a bugle, a clarinet, a bassoon, bagpipes, a bass drum and a snare. I don't have pictures of all of them but I do have a picture of my trumpets and one of my cornets!

left to right: Bach TR300H2, Unknown make and model (was my marching horn which is why its held together with tape), Olds student horn, and a Conn 20A (mid to late seventies, I think, I can't find a good serial number key). I am thinking about getting a flugelhorn.

What do you play?

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:06:08 AM »

Those are some really nice instruments. I play guitar. I've always wanted to learn how to sing and play violin though.

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:16:03 AM »

Wow, how does this not already exist? I'm kind of a self trained singer, I sing best to bluesy stuff and poppy stuff. some metal. I can sing Muse' panic station and Mumford and sons' lover of the light and Kamelot's rule the world pretty well IMO but I wouldn't perform in front of people with out proper training. I picked up the bass and took lessons for like two years but I never got very good. I play percussion better. I beat on a Djembe pretty often. I also have a harmonica that I never got very good at but it was given to me by a local blues artist who is amazing at it.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:17:33 AM »

Ooo I always wanted to play cello. I LOVE what the guys in Apocalyptica can do!

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »

I'm horrendously bad at singing. Doesn't stop me from doing it every night in the shower, but I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. lol. I'm more of a visual learner, so I guess that's why. I did learn how to scream pretty well after a few years of practice though, but I'm not really into that kind of music anymore.

I don't really play guitar much anymore either. About two years back I hit a plateau, and ever since than, I haven't been able to break through the ice ceiling so to speak. I also got really lazy and just didn't care enough to practice anymore. I feel that I've reached a point where the only thing that will help me improve is actually playing with other people. I used to be in an orchestra, and that did help a lot.

Sandtracker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 05:04:44 AM »

I play clarinet currently in the marching band and wind ensumble.

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »

Played trumpet for years as a kid never want to touch one again for as long as I live ... Ok maybe once for nostalgia then block out all the negative ...

I played guitar and drums for a while but I was never afforded the opportunity due to inter family conflicts that basically was a complete jealousy thing.

Wow, that's probably why I don't play anymore ...

I was actually told as a kid I was not able to learn an instrument because my step bro wanted too and I couldn't take that away from him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »

Musician here too. *raises hand, watches furniture start to levitate so puts hand down* lol

I began on Classical guitar, added work on Electric and finally Bass. I'm also a classically trained Basso Profundo singer (though years out of practice) and i can get by with chords on keyboard, but am a total novice there.

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 02:14:34 PM »

I haven't played since high school, but I played saxophone for marching band (alto, tenor, and bari), concert band (alto and tenor), and jazz band (soprano, tenor, and bari).

I gotta tell you, marching with a baritone saxophone SUCKS in Texas heat! Alto is too light, but tenor was just right.

In concert band, I was asked to switch to tenor from alto due to a plethora of altos and a dearth of tenors.

In jazz band, I started out playing tenor, but switched to baritone. I gotta tell you, nothing gives you a raunchier bari sound than a metal mouthpiece and a plastic reed. Of course, I occasionally picked up a soprano sax for solos.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »

anybody got any funny band stories?

One of our instructors was a DI, we called him Sarge, and we used to be particularly difficult with him because he was used to basic training. well we thought it was funny to yell "Sir Yes Sir!" when he told us to do something, but only when there was an administrator or one of the football coaches nearby. Well he got his revenge, at the parent preview event he was giving us instructions and when he was done he just looked at us for a second, turned around and said something along the lines of " They have been saying it all throughout camp, but now that I want to hear them say it just for you they don't!" so we yelled SIR! YES! SIR! as loud as we could. It kind of became a running joke after that, and the football coach made all of his players say it after that.

your turn!

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:35:36 PM »

I've never really been a fan of brass or woodwind instruments. Strings have always been my favorite. But that's just me. Although I do have quite the soft spot for both the flute and the bamboo flute.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:43:13 AM »

I play bass. Badly, and not as often as I should(I'm trying to work on that), but I play.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:30 AM »

I'm also a classically trained Basso Profundo singer (though years out of practice)

I bow to your awesomeness.

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »

Singer here.  Smiley

La la la laaaaaaa...

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »

MAV is gonna love this thread... especially the first post... Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print