Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Raffle Grand Prize – Help me decide!  (Read 4018 times)
James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« on: April 25, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »

Hey all.

As you may be aware, I've been lucky enough to win the grand prize in the recent raffle run by US.

48 hours on, and I'm still reeling a little - and no closer to choosing my two prize 'sabres then I was on Tuesday afternoon. If anything, I'm even further away!

My entry into the raffle was a Bellicose with Arctic Blue blade and Adegan Silver flash, so a part of me thinks I should be looking to complement that... but at the same time, the possibilities are so rich I'm struggling. Unlike The White Knight, who knew the answer before the question was even asked, I don’t have an especially strong preference for one or two designs out of the rest – not now that I’ve ordered my Bellicose, anyway.

At first, I thought I'd just pick two 'sabres off my wishlist (see my sig) but even just picking two from the four is not easy. A little practicality has crept in, and as the SI 'sabre is about $70 cheaper than the others on my wishlist, I figure I can get to buying it sooner rather than later (love the vertical grooves, though).

So, if I'm looking at two single hilts then I think my choice comes down to three: A Bane, a Shock LE and a Manticore. I think that's pretty good, as if I've counted correctly US do 45 'sabres.

For the Bane, this would be as close as seems possible to replicating the Joclad Danva/Lumas Etima 'sabre. Both were among one of the Jedi killed on Geonosis, both get about two seconds of screen time, but the design of their lightsabres was somehow found (or designed) by the guy who used to run thelightsabre.net (now, alas, lost to history and the internet archives). I used to spend hours on that site, and something about that hilt always spoke to me - a nice mix of practical utility and elegance, with the silver emitter and collar contrasting nicely with the stark black of the ridged hilt. This would have a Guardian Blue blade, with flash to be decided (options are Blazing Red, Adegan Silver, Arctic Blue and Bane’s Heart – Red might be cool as it’s kind of a brutish looking hilt). The funny thing is that when I discovered US, I looked right past the Bane - but opinions can change.

The Shock LE is similar to one of the clan 'sabres used by a number of Jedi around Episodes I and II. Aayla Secura and Adi Gallia, I believe, were among those who used them. I love the gold highlights to this hilt (the plain Shock and Dark Shock are also outside possibilities, but for me the LE just edges it). As my first US was an Aeon LE, having a 'bigger brother' to it seems cool. If I went for this one, it'd probably be in Violet Amethyst or Dark Violet Amethyst, with an appropriate flash (I've asked Emory about what's available, just in case there's some experimental mixes that catch my eye, but otherwise both can only flash Adegan Silver or Bane’s Heart, I believe).

Finally, the Manticore... This is just a beautiful 'sabre. It's shorter than the Bellicose or Bane, and I quite like the idea of having it as an off-hand weapon with a shorter blade. At the same time, it seems like it is long enough to hold two-handed, and the relatively simple design would mean it'd be easy to hold. This would have the high-profile pommel, so would be a little longer as a result. It’d probably have an Adegan Silver blade with possibly a Consular Green or Blazing Red flash (because, apparently, I can’t even decide on light side or dark side...)

It’s also occurred to me is that this is a perfect chance to get a genuine lightsabre staff. To that end I've been considering pairing up two hilts, and how they'd go together. Long story short, to my mind there's only one staff I'd want - a Reaper/Crimson Reaper staff. Having seen various Reapers on the forum, I was thinking the Reaper could have an Adegan Silver blade with Blazing Red or Guardian Blue flash, and the Crimson Reaper a Sentinel Yellow or Blazing Red blade and either Adegan Silver or Fire Orange flash... but even that I can't decide on!

It would have been easier to win a random 'sabre, in a way - not that I'm complaining! So I need your help, guys. If you own any of these, what made you choose them over anything else? If you're dreaming of owning one of them, what draws you to that one? If you'd choose something else entirely in my place, what would you choose, and why? I'm open to suggestions - I've recently started thinking that the Monarch could look cool as part of a pike, whereas previously I couldn't really see the appeal to it. While I don't think I'll be steered too far from the ones I mentioned, opinions can change, so if you really think that what I need in my life is a War Glaive, Raven or Malice, then let me know.

Thanks all in advance - especially as this ended up kinda long!

JC
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:29:48 PM by James Casey » Logged

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »

The bane in my opinion is best as a single hilt saber. It also doesn't have an interchangeable emitter so that limits your customization capabilities.
A shock staff would be cool, but I've seen quite a few people have one and its losing some of its uniqueness. Though over all it is a great saber from all the reviews I've seen/read.
 If I were you I would either get a manticore staff or a black reaper staff as apposed to the red one since it will match up with other saber parts more easily thus increasing your customization options.
 Plus the manticore staff and reaper staff both resemble Darth maul and Savage oppress's sabers in some way so having either one in staff forum would be BA.  Cool Plus each sabers windowed emitters just scream coolness and power.

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

JP47
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 21

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

As much as I love the Shock LE, I'd say manticore is the way to go. Perfect size for a staff with the best emitter ever. Would also go great as dual wielding. Big Boss said it best though and I've always loved Darth Maul's saber.

Raven RGB - sound             Bellicose AB - sound
Dark Prophecy V3 GB          Aeon LE V3 GB - sound
Phantom Initiate V3  AS      Initiate V3  DVA

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

I'd probably be looking to get two of the three - I like the idea of an asymmetric staff, and I can swap in the Bellicose as well as they're all MHS at the pommel end at least.

That said, I've seen Shock LE and Manticore staffs... *drool*

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

LiethStarKiller
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

Knights of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »

I personally think that a Reaper staff would look wicked awesome. I'm gonna be possibly buying a Phantasm staff in Sentinel Yellow when summer comes around, (because I have a small budget and it would only cost me about $165) but a Reaper staff with sound and Sentinel Yellow would be the coolest thing ever. If I ever find $600 on the ground, I would immediately jump on it. (A guy can dream right?)
But a Manticore staff would be amazing as well, and be very Maul reminiscent.
I think that it all depends on what you are going to use it for. If you prefer displaying your sabers, then you might want to get two separate hilts to boost your collection. (I for one personally think that the Shock LE in  Dark Violet Amethyst would look epic).
But, if you want a staff, this is obviously the best time for you to get your dream sound double lightsaber.
Whatever you pick, I'm excited for you!!! Make sure to post lots of pictures when it arrives!!!
Lieth

Aeon LE V3 Guardian Blue
Archon V2.1 Counselor Green
Malice Blazing Red

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »

Shock and Manticore, those are my votes. I love my Shock, and I'm still kinda drooling on the Manticore from seeing at last year at Wondercon. lol

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:32 AM »

Manticore staff, Dark Reaper Staff, Or go for both your Shock LE and Manticore.

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Aurentis
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »

I think a Reaper staff would be quite awesome, but also incredibly long -- even without the claws, you'd be looking at a simply MASSIVE hilt.  You would probably have to get your blades cut way short to be able to manipulate it comfortably, unless you're like seven feet tall or something.  Of course, if you like having a lot of room for a wide grip, short blades really aren't as much of a "problem" anymore.

I think I'm in support of Sky's suggestions of either a Manticore staff or the Shock/Manticore combo.  The Shock is simply gorgeous (and it begs for VA or DVA, so solid call on the color), and the Manticore is a saber I'm still eyeing for a future purchase.  It's just so stylish on its own!  A Manticore staff would also be pretty close to ideal length, IMO.

Emotion, yet peace.

Crimson Reaper: SRD
Shock LE Staff: DVA/AS
Aeon v3: CG [Stunt]

woodywoodwardo
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »

Just to throw another "idea" in the pot, personally I’ve always wanted a double ended saber made from a malice and a raven in red or silver, as I think it would look very intimidating, but to be honest go with what makes you happy, at the end of the day you have got one amazing chance to get the ultrasaber/s of your dreams, I cannot wait to see what you finally go with

US Sabers
Grab bag 1 Initiate LE v2 GB
Grab bag 2: Aeon v3 AB
Crimson Reaper FO stunt
Raven AS FOC B Sound silver AV
2nd Spring raffle 2nd prize:Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 BR
MR sabers
Vader and Anakin

Ricos
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -48

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »

Maybe an Overlord staff? Hilt is very smooth minimal pretusuions?

Bellicose DVA...Obsidian
Overlord BR...Obsidian
Overlord BR
Dominix LE v3 CG
Dark Initiate v2 GB...son
Initiate LE v3 CG...nephew
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 AS...son

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »

Well, so far you all have helped me to consider a wholly symmetrical staff... so that's another option! Cheesy

I think I'm going to force myself to decide by no later than Monday. I'm away over the weekend, so I can think about it more then. Please keep the ideas coming - it really is helping, so thank you.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »

With the Reaper you can align the emitters so the claws face opposite each other. That staff would me my choice! I don't think anyone has a Reaper staff on this forum, which means you would have a unique saber! I would also suggest a Graflex staff, Bane staff, and Dark Shock staff.

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »

It's funny.  Until I read your thread, I'd never even considered what I'd get if I won.  lol.  

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the Bane, so I can't really recommend getting it either.  : /

I think I'd go with one of a couple things:

1. Dark Reaper staff.  Like Manroon said, the Dark Reaper give more customization options than Crimson in a staff, and it would look absolutely sick.

2. Raven/Dark War Glaive.  I know neither is on your list.  Sorry for that.  Grin  

3. Manticore/Shock LE.  Manticore in Hot Pink (I know), and Shock LE in Sentinel Yellow with a yellow AV.  

But as another poster said, do what you think you will like best!

EDIT:  or you could always get a Malice staff with long blades!  World's most massive staff ever.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Hibyrd
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 37

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »

I don't envy you in the decision you have to make but I know that whatever you get, your ability to customize will explode. Good luck an have fun! If you want my $.02, I would get two different ones to connect just increase my collection. The Shock/Manticore combo that was mentioned would be very tempting. . .

Bellicose RGB
Archon V2.1 CG Obsidian w/Foc Orange
Malice BR Obsidian w/Foc Orange
Prophecy CE V2 BR
Liberator AB
Dark Standard Issue Staff GB
Dominix v2 LE FO
Manticore Emerald RGBW
Dominix v2 AS
Crimson Reaper AB Obsisian w/FOC silver
Initiate

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »

Thanks all, my decision has been made and I'll be confirming it with Deep later, hopefully.

Now to wait (im)patiently...  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: